Bricks come in a wide array of colors and are used to construct a variety of outdoor areas such as patios, driveways, pathways, planters and the exteriors of buildings. If an area where bricks are in use has clay soil nearby, rainwater can splash the clay onto the brickwork and discolor it. Though a clay stain is a soil-based stain, removing clay stains from bricks can be challenging, especially if the stain has existed for a long time. The removal task may require special chemicals.
Things You'll Need
- Push broom
- Power washer
- Plastic bucket
- Liquid dish soap
- Oxalic acid crystals (optional)
- Stiff-bristled brush (optional)
- Long sleeves, pants, gloves and eye protection (optional)
Sweep the surface of the brickwork with a broom to dislodge as much of the exterior clay as possible.
Fill a power washer with water and spray the surface of the clay-stained brickwork thoroughly to saturate it and to remove any remaining surface clay.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of warm water and 2 to 3 tsp. of liquid dish soap. Apply the entire mixture to the bricks until they are saturated. If the bricks are on the ground, simply pour the bucket over the bricks. If they are on wall, use a sponge to apply the soap mixture.
Scrub the bricks with the bristles of the push broom to remove the remaining clay stains from them.
Turn the power washer back on and aim the water stream at the bricks to thoroughly remove any remaining clay stain and all of the soap residue.
Tips & Warnings
- If the clay stains remain after you've completed the entire process, mix 1 gallon of warm water with 1 lb. of oxalic acid crystals in a plastic bucket. Put on eye protection, gloves, long sleeves and pants. Apply the mixture to the brick using a stiff-bristled brush. Oxalic acid is available at janitorial supply stores.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Clean Brick Stains
Most brick stains can be cleaned with a scrub brush, water, or cleaning solvents. When you clean brick stains in or around...
How to Remove White Stains From Holland Paver Bricks
When Holland Paver bricks are installed near a pool or within reach of a sprinkler system, they often develop white stains. These...