Travel-booking websites such as Priceline help ease the burden of planning a trip. However, such perks often come with tight restrictions, particularly when it involves cancellation policies.
Priceline does not charge cancellation fees but your hotel may, depending on its specific policy. Hotels usually adopt one of the three following cancellation policies, but rules vary based on individual establishments:
- Free cancellation: Under this policy, if you cancel your hotel up to one day before your expected arrival date, you're typically absolved of the fee.
- Flexible cancellation: Based on this policy, some hotels allow you to cancel your reservation up to three days in advance, but you might be charged for the first night's stay.
- Nonrefundable: While most hotels with this policy do not allow you to cancel your reservation, some prorate the fees. For instance, if you cancel with more than 30 days’ notice, you may be charged only 10 percent of the total rate. If you wait 14 days prior to your reservation to cancel, you may be charged 50 percent of the total rate.
To check the status of your hotel’s specific cancellation policy:
- Sign-in to your account on the main page.
- Hover over the "My Trips" link on the top right-hand corner on the home page.
- Click on "Check Your Request Status" in the drop-down menu.
- Enter your email address and trip number, also known as a reservation number.
- Check the status of your hotel’s cancellation policy.
You cannot cancel a reservation on Priceline when you’ve booked your room using the site’s discounted Express Deals service.
Once you've determined your hotel room is eligible for cancellation, call customer service at 877-477-5807. Get ready to provide the agent with your trip number, which is located under the "My Trips" tab of the website. Rooms booked on Priceline cannot be cancelled online.
The only way to cancel hotel rooms booked through Priceline’s Name Your Own Price service is to purchase traveler's insurance through the site. With traveler’s insurance, in the event of a natural disaster, loss of employment, terrorist attack, a personal medical emergency, or the illness or death of an immediate family member, business or travel partner, you will be reimbursed the cost of your hotel room. Priceline may ask to see a doctor’s note if you cancel because of an ailment.