Maid Marian is the love interest of Robin Hood, the outlaw who robbed from the rich and gave to the poor in English folklore. The classic tale has been made into a number of TV shows and movies, which see Marian dress in a number of costumes, including a corseted medieval dress, a jaunty, skimpy green outfit and a flowing gown and headdress. The latter is very easy to make and you can add your own little touches too.
Things You'll Need
- Floor-length, long-sleeved, pale-blue dress
- Pale-blue bed sheet
- White or pale-blue ballet shoes
- Plastic headband
Cut two triangles out of the cardboard -- make them 4 inches in height. Use the pencil to draw a line across the bottom of one triangle, 1/2 inch above the bottom. Firmly fold along this line, so the card can stand up with the 1/2 inch as its base. Repeat with the other triangle.
With the card standing up, glue along the top side of the 1/2-inch base. Stick this glued edge to the underside of the plastic headband. Position it where the left ear would be on a fancy-dress cat's-ears headband. Repeat with the second triangle and stick it where the right ear would be.
Put on the dress, shoes and headband. Place the sheet over your head, so it is resting on the headband and the front edge touches the top of your forehead. Drape the sheet so it sits on your shoulders, then falls down your back.
Tips & Warnings
- Use strong card for the triangles, so they can support the weight of the sheet.
- If you have a fancy-dress cat's-ears headband, this will work even better.
- Use pale pink, yellow, green or lilac instead of blue if you wish.
- You can add silver jewelry and ribbons or flowers in your hair for a pretty touch.
- Braid small half-inch sections of the front of your hair to add to the look.
- Photo Credit ROBIN HOODS TREE image by john hodgkiss from Fotolia.com
- How to Make Headbands
- How to Make a Maid Costume
- How to Make Your Own German Beer Maid Costume
How to Make Renaissance Headpieces
Crown yourself with a floral Renaissance headpiece of your own making. Renaissance headpieces, or circlets, are easy-to-wear crowns that can be made...
How to Make Your Own Beer Can Costume
If you do not feel like taking yourself too seriously for a costume party, dress up as one of your favorite beverages....
- How to Make a Homemade French Maid Costume
- Prince Costume Ideas
Hollywood Themed Couples Costume Ideas
Dressing up for a Halloween or costume party can give adults a chance to show a less serious side of their personality....