The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles runs the nation's second largest Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, as of 2010. Despite receiving an allocation of over 45,000 Section 8 subsidies from HUD, the agency cannot keep up with program demand. You face an uphill climb if you wish to secure Section 8 assistance in Los Angeles, even if you have a spot on the housing authority's waiting list. If you're not on the list, your outlook is even more bleak.
Call the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles at (213) 252-2500 or stop by its office at 2600 Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. Ask a housing authority representative about your position on the agency's Section 8 waiting list if you have already secured a spot.
Call the housing authority or check its website to inquire about the status of its Section 8 waiting list. As of 2010, the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles's website states that it it not processing Section 8 applications "until further notice."
Keep tabs on local media, particularly large local newspapers such as the Los Angeles Times. Federal regulations require the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles to provide the public advance notice through the media before it reopens its Section 8 waiting list.
Tips & Warnings
- You can apply for Section 8 and public housing assistance in Los Angeles at the same time. The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles administers both initiatives. The agency points out that applicants generally experience a shorter wait for public housing than they do for Section 8 benefits. The two programs differ, however; with a Section 8 voucher, you can rent most apartments offered by private landlords, while the housing authority manages low-rent public housing units at over 60 fixed developments throughout Los Angeles.
- HUD.gov: Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet
- The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles: Section 8 Housing
- The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles: Applicant Information
- The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles: Applying for Public Housing
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: Title 24, Section 982.206
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images
How to Apply for Section 8 in Lancaster, California
How to Check Section 8 Status in Los Angeles County; How to Apply for Section 8 Assistance in ... HACoLA will verify...
How to Find Out the Status of a Section 8
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (or HUD) oversees the Section 8 rental assistance program. Section 8 helps low-income families...
How to Apply for Low Income Housing in Los Angeles
Section 8 in Los Angeles is handled by the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles. ... How to Check Section...
How to Find Out About Your Section 8 Number
Section 8 is a federal housing program that provides rent subsidies to low income participants. ... How to Check Section 8 Status...
How do I Find Out if Section 8 Is Open in New Jersey?
Periodically, New Jersey's Section 8 waiting list is reopened to new ... Call the Housing Authority in your area and inquire about...
How to Update My Section 8 Application
How to Update My Section 8 Application. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) ... If you don't report changes in...
How to Turn Off Ads on Facebook
tech section. Computers. Desktops; ... "Los Angeles Times"; ... Though sometimes referred to as "Incredible Mail," the proper name for the popular...