A crocheted cradle purse is a cradle-shaped purse that when turned inside out forms a cradle that holds a small doll. These purses are easy to make with some basic crocheting knowledge, and a suitable gift for a young girl or boy. Personalize the purse by making it in the child's favorite colors.
Things You'll Need
- 1 oz. of worsted weight yarn for first color choice
- 1 oz. of worsted weight yarn for second color choice
- Size H crochet hook
- 6-inch doll of choice
Chain 22 with first color of choice. Double crochet in 4th chain from hook, and in the next 17 chains, 6 double crochet in the last chain. Work along the opposite side of the chain, double crochet in the next 17 chains, 6 double crochet in the last chain, and join with a slip stitch in the top of beginning chain 3. There are now 48 double crochet.
Chain 3, double crochet in each of the double crochet around, join with a slip stitch in the top of beginning chain. Work this for a total of 5 rounds. Fasten off at the end of round six.
Working in front loops only for round 7, join second color with a slip stitch in 1st double crochet of round. Chain 3, 2 double crochet in same double crochet, chain 1 skip 2 double crochet, 3 double crochet in next double crochet, repeat until there are 16 three double crochet groups and 16 chain 1 spaces. End with chain 1and join as before and end off.
Working in both loops join first color with a slip stitch in any chain 1 space of round 7, chain 3, 2 double crochet in the same space of round 7, chain 1, 3 double crochet in next chain 3 space, repeat until there are 16 three double crochet and 16 chain 1 spaces. Join as before and fasten off.
Continue working the above pattern for rounds 9 through 11 alternating the two colors. Join first color with a slip stitch in any chain 1 space of round 11, chain 1, single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, half double crochet, and single crochet in the same chain 1 space, and in each chain one space around, join with slip stitch in 1st single crochet and fasten off.
Chain 65 with second color twice and fasten off. These two chains are used for drawstrings. Weave the drawstrings though opposite end of the purse and knot the ends together to join.
Add doll of choice and give to your favorite little girl.
Tips & Warnings
- A chain stitch is made by making a slip knot on the crochet hook, then bringing the yarn over the back to the front and grabbing it with the hook. Draw the hooked yarn through the slip knot onto the hook. Repeat until the desired number of chain stitches has been made.
- Single crochet is made by inserting the hook into a chain stitch pull the yarn through the stitch and onto the hook. There are two loops on the hook. Bring the yarn over the hook and pull it through both of the loops. One loop will remain on the hook.
- Double crochet is made by wrapping the yarn from back to front (yarn over) before inserting the hook into the stitch. Insert hook into stitch on last row yarn over and pull through the stitch. There are now three loops on the hook. Yarn over and draw through two loops on the hook, yarn over once more and pull through the remaining two loops.
- When making a half double crochet yarn over and insert hook into last stitch. There are three loops on the hook. Yarn over and pull the yarn through all three loops.
- Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Polka Dot/Getty Images