Roller derby girls are known for their unique fashion sense inspired by everything from punk rock to pin-up girls. You can dress like your favorite rollergirl or "Whip It" star for Halloween by donning fishnet stockings, booty shorts and, of course, proper safety gear.
Things You'll Need
- Tank top or T-shirt
- Booty shorts or mini-skirt
- Fishnet stockings or colorful tights
- Knee-high socks
- Knee pads
- Wrist guards
- Elbow pads
- Roller skates
Pick a roller derby outfit. Most skaters like to wear fishnets, colorful booty shorts -- or a short skirt -- and a fun, comfortable top. You can search thrift stores or vintage shops for colorful derby dress.
Find a pair of skates. If you're interested in joining a roller derby team later, opt for a pair of low-cut, low-heel skates designed specifically for derby. If you're just dressing like a derby girl for Halloween, you can opt for a cheap pair of artistic skate boots -- the high-heeled rental classics -- for your costume.
Purchase new or used pads and a helmet from a sporting goods store. Derby girls wear knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards while skating. If you aren't a seasoned skater, you will want to put on pads before skating around on Halloween. Derby girls also wear mouth guards, but you can probably skip the mouth guard for your Halloween costume.
Put on your fishnets, and pull your shorts or skirt over them. Finish the look with your knee-high socks and roller skates.
Tips & Warnings
- Add temporary tattoos to your costume to look tougher.
- Try out for a local roller derby team after Halloween if you find that you enjoy skating.
- If you haven't skated before, practice before Halloween.
- Skating in the dark, or over rough, uneven surfaces, can be dangerous.
- You can be seriously injured if you wear skates without the required equipment.
- Do not drink alcohol while wearing roller skates.
- Photo Credit Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images
How to Dress for the Kentucky Derby
If you're one of the lucky people going to the Kentucky Derby this year, or even if you just want to dress...
How to Dress Like a Bond Girl for Halloween
Unlike any of the other run-of-the-mill sexy Halloween costumes, being a "Bond girl" requires a certain degree of assertiveness and class. On...
How to dress like a Vintage Cigarette Girl
Look as though you stepped out of a vintage magazine by perfecting a cigarette girl look. Cigarette girls were attractive women who...
Team Costume Ideas
Dressing up as a team is a fun costume idea for groups of all ages. Whether your group is as small as...