Pink mold is a type of mold commonly found growing around bathroom fixtures and fittings, in the sink and around the water line inside the toilet bowl. Its scientific name is Serratia marcescens. It is an airborne bacterium, meaning it travels in the air as tiny particles. It is pink in appearance, and it thrives in moist, damp conditions and feeds on the residue of soaps and shampoos. In the absence of a food source, it will even feed upon itself if all other conditions are present. Products containing chlorine can kill the mold.
Things You'll Need
- Breathing mask
- Rubber gloves
- Plastic sheets
- Chlorine bleach
- Old toothbrush or small scrubbing brush
- Household cleaner
- Trash liners
Wear safety goggles, rubber gloves and a breathing mask before entering the infected area. Turn off all heating or air-conditioning vents to ensure that the mold is not carried around the house via the ventilation system.
Cover uninfected areas with plastic sheets.
Mix 1 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water in a bucket, sink or bathtub. Soak the rag in the solution and use the rag to thoroughly clean all affected areas. Use a small scrubbing brush or toothbrush to clean around small bathroom fixtures and the toilet rim using the bleach solution.
Rinse the areas you cleaned with warm water and a fresh cleaning rag. Discard the cleaning rags you used in the trash liner. Drain the bleach solution and use common household cleaner to wash over the affected areas again to remove any remaining debris that could potentially contain traces of mold.
Rinse again with water and fresh cleaning rags. Thoroughly dry the area using clean, dry rags. Discard used cleaning rags and brushes in the trash liner, tie it up securely and dispose of it outside the house.
Tips & Warnings
- Reduce the chances of the mold coming back by keeping your bathroom clean and dry. Ensure the bathroom is dry after showering by opening windows or turning on air vents. Wipe down the bathroom surfaces after showering. Clean the area with bleach and water once a week for maintenance. Ensure all soap scum and shampoo traces are regularly cleaned.
- It is important to remove mold because it can cause serious health problems including the exacerbation of symptoms of asthma and allergies.
- Never mix bleach and ammonia, which is a potentially deadly combination.