PVC piping can be used for a wide variety of projects that have nothing to do with plumbing. PVC is easy to work with, reasonably strong and can be easily disassembled for convenient transportation and storage, provided you connect pieces with removable fittings. The technique to make removable PVC fittings is simple and can be used with PVC pipes of just about any size.
Things You'll Need
- 1 12-inch PVC pipe, 1-inch diameter
- 1 coupler, 1-inch inside diameter
- 1/4-inch drill bit
- 1/4-inch bolt, 1 1/2-inch length
- 1/4-inch nut
Fit the one foot piece of pipe into the coupler and press it in tightly.
Drill a hole through the center of the connection, such that you create a hole straight through both the pipe and the coupler. Be sure to secure the pipe firmly before drilling, to prevent it from turning on you. Preferably, use a vice to do so.
Insert the bolt completely through the hole and lock it in place by attaching the nut on the other side. If you have trouble pushing the bolt through, run the drill bit through the hole a few times to slightly widen it. The bolt will prevent the pieces from being pulled apart, yet will still allow you to disassemble the joint easily.
Tips & Warnings
- If the fitting does not encounter any kind of outward stress that can weaken the joint, you may be able to bypass the bolt entirely, and just use the natural snugness of the joint to keep it together.
- These fittings are not made to hold back water, and should not be used in pipes requiring such. Unless using a specialized screw-type fitting, water pipes should be permanently cemented in place.
- Photo Credit pvc image by pearlguy from Fotolia.com
Types of PVC Corner Fittings
PVC corner fittings are designed to link two or more lengths of PVC pipe together in a constricted space, such as under...
How to Make a PVC Pipe Instrument
Hollow PVC pipes make a sound when you hit them with something. The longer the PVC pipe, the lower the tone. Using...
How to Remove Glue From PVC Pipes
PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) pipes are commonly used for irrigation systems in homes and other facilities. PVC piping can withstand heat and extreme...
How to Dissolve PVC Pipe Glue
PVC piping is known to be extremely durable, heat-resistant and long-lasting. Used most commonly in residential and industrial irrigation systems, PVC pipes...