How to Get Transcripts From a Closed College


Obtaining a transcript from a closed college or university can be difficult and time consuming. Fortunately, help is readily available. Proper preparation and research will greatly simplify the process.

Things You'll Need

  • Personal information
  • School information

Research & Preparation

  • Make certain that the school in question is actually closed. Name changes and mergers in the academic world do occur. A simple online search of the college's name may reveal that it is operating under a new name or that it has merged with another school. If this is the case, then obtaining a transcript is as simple as contacting the school under its new name.

  • Prepare a list of all pertinent personal information that may be needed to secure a transcript. Be certain to include your name, social security number, student id number, current address, phone number, and e-mail address.

  • Prepare a list of information about the school you attended. Be sure to include the name of the school, the school's address, your dates of attendance, your date of graduation, and your program of study.

  • Prepare a list of information about the recipient of the required transcript. If the transcript is being provided to a new school or prospective employer, they will want it sent directly to them.

Getting Help

  • If the college was a public institution, information on obtaining a transcript can usually be found by contacting the department of education in the state where the school was located. In many cases, the department of education will be in possession of the documents you need.

  • Information on private schools is available through the National Association of State Administrators and Supervisors of Private Schools (NASASPS). In addition to information on private schools, this association's website has information on many public schools as well. It can provide details on how to contact the organization that can provide access to the needed transcript.

  • For schools outside of the United States, you will need to contact the governing body of education within the country where the school was located.

Related Searches

  • Photo Credit Scott Quinn Photography/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

Can You Take Advantage Of Student Loan Forgiveness?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!