The Little Mermaid is one of the Disney princesses. She is based on the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale "The Little Mermaid." Little girls and even adult women who liked the Disney movie can pretend to be Ariel for Halloween, a birthday party, a princess tea, a trip to a Disney theme park, or just for fun. Although there are plenty of Little Mermaid costumes that you can purchase in stores, you also can make a Little Mermaid costume easily on your own.
Things You'll Need
- Tank top, flesh-colored
- Bikini top, pink
- Bag of shells
- Box of sequins
- Hot glue gun
- Long, fitted sea green skirt
- Sea green tulle
- Sewing machine
- Sea green thread
Attach sequins and shells to the pink bikini top using the hot glue gun. You can glue the decorations randomly or attach them in patterns that make the cups look like large seashells.
Cut tulle into long rectangular strips. Gather the tulle and pin it to the inside bottom of the skirt. The tulle should bunch around the skirt to simulate fins and should hide your feet when you walk.
Sew the tulle to the skirt with a sewing machine.
Glue shells and sequins to the skirt to simulate fish scales.
Put on the flesh colored tank top first. Wear the bikini top top over the tank top. Put on the skirt and tuck the tank top into the skirt.
Tips & Warnings
- Select a skirt that has a pattern that resembles fish scales for a more realistic mermaid tail. Skirts with sequins, such as the lower half of a pageant formal, are ideal for this purpose. You can find skirts like this in many resale stores in fall.
- Walk around to test the skirt and ensure that you don't trip over the tulle fins. Shorten the fins with scissors to prevent tripping if they are too long.
- The Little Mermaid has red hair. Unless you are a redhead, you should wear a red wig or use a temporary hair dye. Be careful when applying the dye, as it can rub off on your skin and clothing.
- Photo Credit little mermaid, copenhagen image by elmgrover from Fotolia.com
How to Make a Mermaid Costume
Mermaids have fascinated humans for centuries, and today this is a popular Halloween costume. With this simple way to make a mermaid...
How to Create an Ariel Costume
"Watch, and you'll see. Someday I'll be part of your world." That is the promise that Ariel made to Eric in the...
How to Make Your Own Disney Movie Costume at Home
Disney character costumes are commonly seen during Halloween. While there are loads of Disney costumes available through assorted costume supply stores and...
How to Make a Costume of Ursula the Sea Witch
Ursula the sea witch was the primary antagonist in the 1989 Disney movie The Little Mermaid. Ursula was a buxom octopus-like character...
Homemade Disney Costume
Though Disney costumes are sold in stores and online, they can become pricey. However, most Disney costumes only contain a few simple...