Eucalyptus oil has a pungent aroma that also carries health benefits. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, eucalyptus oil is rich with the antiseptic cineole, also known as eucalyptol. Traditionally, eucalyptus leaves and oils have been used to treat respiratory conditions such coughs and bronchitis. This makes eucalyptus oil suited as an aromatic air freshener that also kills bacteria in the atmosphere.
Things You'll Need
- Eucalyptus oil
- ½ tsp. vodka
- 2 cups water
- Spray bottle
- 2 cups boiled water
- Small crock pot
Combine 15 drops of eucalyptus oil with ½ tsp. of vodka and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Spray around the room and on furniture. Add more oil to make the scent stronger.
Boil 2 cups of water. Place a bowl in the room you want air-freshened and add the boiled water. Deposit 10 or more drops of eucalyptus oil into the hot water. The steam heats the oil, creating rapid evaporation throughout the room. This method is effective, but lasts only a few minutes.
Let a candle burn for five minutes. Put the candle out and place 1 drop of eucalyptus oil in the wax that has melted. Light the candle again. Eucalyptus oil tends to be highly flammable, so do not get any on the candle wick.
Heat the water on high temperature in a small crock pot. Add eucalyptus drops to reach your preferred scent strength. This method has a lasting aroma for hours.
Tips & Warnings
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a car freshener that has lost its scent.
- Stored in dark glass bottles out of sunlight, eucalyptus oil can keep fresh up to two years, according to the website Green Living Tips.
- Eucalyptus oil in high concentrations is toxic and is not meant for internal consumption.
- Eucalyptus oil is known to cause mucous membrane irritation in sensitive people.
- Photo Credit koala bear on eucalyptus tree image by MAXFX from Fotolia.com Bowl image by Jellie from Fotolia.com candle image by Fotocie from Fotolia.com
What Are the Uses for Eucalyptus Oil?
Eucalyptus oil can be used in daily chores or it can be used for its medicinal properties. It is a versatile natural...
How to Use Lemon Eucalyptus Oil as an Insect Repellent
Lemon eucalyptus oil, when used in conjunction with other types of insect repellents, offers natural and long-lasting protection from insect bites. Lemon...