Driver's licenses, state identification cards and vehicle registration details are overseen by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, which is located in the state capital of St. Paul. While most people use a driver's license as a primary form of identification, there are many reasons to carry a state identification card instead. ID cards are less expensive to acquire than a driver's license. For people who rely on other forms of transportation, who do not drive or whose licenses have been revoked, a Minnesota ID card is a good choice because it's pocket-sized, convenient and legal.
Find a quiet place to make a phone call. Prepare for about 15 minutes of uninterrupted time.
Dial 651-296-6911. Make sure to dial a 1 if you are outside the 651 area code.
Listen to the voice on the the automatic information line. You will be told to press a number key to make a selection, or just say the name of the selection that you want. After hearing the choice "Ask for an agent," say the word "agent" into your telephone.
You will then be given another set of choices. Say "identification card."
You will then be asked, "Do you have your driver's license number ready?" Say "No." The voice prompt will tell you how many minutes you can expect to be on hold and state that calls are answered in the order they are received. Remain on the line until an agent picks up.
When the agent answers, say you would like to know the status of your Minnesota photo ID card. The agent will then ask for your full name. Provide the agent with that information, starting with last name first. Speak slowly and provide the agent with letters and words to indicate the proper spelling. For instance, with the last name Nelson, respond with "N as in Nancy, E as in elephant" and so forth.
The agent will retrieve status information from the computer system and provide you with an update on your photo ID.
Tips & Warnings
- It takes approximately six to eight weeks to receive a Minnesota state identification card. If you have not received it within six weeks after application, call to find out why.
- If you are in the St. Paul area, you may also stop in at the Department of Public Safety at the following address:
- Minnesota Department of Public Safety
- 445 Minnesota St.
- Suite 190
- Saint Paul, MN
- When using the voice prompt system, speak slowly and clearly. Interruptions in sound or conversation could cause the call to accidentally become disconnected.
- As of September 2010, the Minnesota Department of Vehicle Services does not have a way for identification card applicants to check the status via the Internet. A telephone call is required.
- Photo Credit us passports image by Albert Lozano from Fotolia.com Cordless Telephone image by Sujit Mahapatra from Fotolia.com
How Do I Check the Status of My Minnesota State Tax Refund?
Taxes have to be filed every year, and depending on employment status and other considerations such as having a child or donating...
How to Read UCare Member ID Cards in Minnesota
UCare Minnesota healthcare plans have an identification card that indicates your insurance benefits or member discounts to participating providers. Doctors, dentists ...
How to Check the Status of a Pregnancy Medicaid Application Online
Enter the information that is needed to locate your application. This usually includes your Social Security number, your federal tax ID and...
How to Get your State Identification Card
State ID is needed most especially if you are a foreign national or just arrive here in United States. Check your local...
How to Use My Minnesota EBT Card
The Minnesota Department of Human Services offers food and cash assistance to eligible recipients. You can receive the benefits by qualifying through...