Quiche is essentially a custard baked in a pie crust. A basic quiche recipe calls for eggs, cream and cheese, although a variety of fillings can also be added. The more traditional recipes call for rich double cream, but a reduced fat milk (such as skim, 1 percent, 2 percent or whole) can be used in place of the cream with no flavor or consistency problems.
Things You'll Need
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- 9-inch pie crust (prepared or homemade)
- 1/2 cup cheese (optional)
- Filling ingredients (optional)
- Fresh or dried herbs (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl until combined.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the egg mixture in the pie crust, and sprinkle cheese (if desired) over the top of the quiche.
Bake the quiche for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Tips & Warnings
- Any number of fillings can be used in this quiche: cooked meats such as chicken, turkey, ham, bacon or sausage;
- seafood such as shrimp, crab or lobster; and chopped vegetables such as onions, garlic, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes or spinach. Aim for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 cups of filling ingredients for this recipe.
- A variety of cheeses can be added as well, including cheddar, swiss or feta.
- Fresh or dried herbs will add additional flavor to this quiche. Try rosemary, thyme or basil.
- Photo Credit quiche image by razorconcept from Fotolia.com
- Can You Reheat Quiche?
How to Make Quiche Lorraine
**Start to Finish:** 50 to 60 minutes **Servings:** 6 to 10 **Difficulty level:** Intermediate A quiche is a flexible thing. Its richness...
How to Make an Easy Spinach Quiche
**Start to finish**: 4 hours, 30 minutes **Servings**: 6 to 8 **Difficulty Level**: Intermediate A spinach quiche featuring creamy custard with emerald...
Can You Make a Quiche Without a Crust?
**Start to Finish:** 45 minutes **Servings:** 4 to 6 **Difficulty Level:** Beginner The most involved part of a traditional quiche is usually...