Although programs aren't requirements of a wedding ceremony, providing a program for guests personalizes the event. Couples typically edit their programs according to their personal tastes. However, traditionally, a generic wedding program would list the people of importance and the order that events will occur during the ceremony.
State the details of where and when the wedding takes place. Identify the wedding date, ceremony location and the full names of the bride and groom.
Identify the names of others who are also participating in the ceremony in order of importance. This would probably include the parents' names and the officiant who is presiding over the wedding. In program wording, it would read something like “Bride's Parents: Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, Reverend James Jones Presiding."
List the names of the maid of honor, the best man and the usher or ring bearer.
List the names of the songs that will be played during the wedding and the names of the musicians who will be performing them. You may want to add the names of any readers who will be taking part in the ceremony, as well.
List the schedule of events that will take place during the ceremony. Generally, this would be the welcome section, nuptial prayer, exchanging of vows and rings, etc. This allows guests to follow along during the event.
If necessary, include some information about special cultural or religious customs that are important to the wedding so guests will understand the significance of certain events.
Tips & Warnings
- For short ceremonies, a wedding program may not even be necessary.
- Add a personal touch to wedding programs by including pictures, meaningful quotes, or stories about the bride and groom.
- Some couples prefer to have one program for the wedding ceremony and a separate one for the reception.
- Photo Credit wedding marriage ceremony program with ring image by Paul Retherford from Fotolia.com
- Traditional Wedding Reception Program
- How to Make a Program Outline Template
- How to Make Your Own Wedding Ceremony Programs
How to Write a Wedding Ceremony Program
A wedding program helps your guests to follow along with your program. For guests familiar with the traditions you will be following...
- How to Word Informal Wedding Programs
- How to Format a Wedding Program
- How to Write a Birthday Program
- Program Ideas for 50th Birthday Celebrations
Ideas for Wedding Program Layouts
When planning a wedding, it's important to remember to create a wedding program. Wedding programs list events and help guests stay on...