How to Get A Marriage License in the Military


Obtaining a marriage license when one half of a couple is stationed away from home is difficult. Most state courts require that both parties apply for a marriage license together and will not issue a marriage license otherwise. Most states will issue a marriage license to one party if the other is serving in the military if the other party presents a power of attorney from the person in the military.

Things You'll Need

  • Power of attorney
  • Draw up a power-of-attorney to appoint a trusted friend, family member or legal counsel as your attorney-in-fact if your fiance is stationed overseas and unable to apply for your marriage license in person. The power of attorney must be signed by either a notary public or two military officers.

  • Visit your local courthouse with your fiancé’s power of attorney and your attorney-in-fact. You both need to be present to apply for the marriage license. Fill out the application for yourself and on behalf of your fiancé.

  • Submit the appropriate documents to the court clerk. Your attorney-in-fact will need to present his or her documents as well, including copies of photo identification. You must have copies of your birth certificate and the birth certificate of your fiancé as well.

  • Pay the marriage license fee that is required by your particular state and county. Some states have a waiting period before a marriage license is issued and other states will provide a copy of your license while you wait. Ask for how long your marriage license is valid.

Tips & Warnings

  • Check with your particular county or state to find out exact details regarding applying for a marriage license.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

This Is the Beauty Routine of a Wedding Industry Insider

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!