Clean, shiny wood floors can look great in any home, and leave you with lots of options for decorating, as there is a variety of décor that can match this type of flooring. But, sometimes wood floors can get black marks, like scuffs, which can make them look worn out. If you have black marks on your wooden flooring, learn how to remove them so that your floors can shine once again.
Things You'll Need
- Vacuum with brush attachment
- Pencil eraser
- Linseed oil
- Wood polish
Vacuum the area that has the black mark using the brush attachment to get rid of any loose particles.
Rub the black mark with a pencil eraser with even, firm strokes. If the mark remains, continue to the next step.
Mix 1 ½ cups of linseed oil with 1/2 cup of rottenstone in a bowl until it forms a thick paste. Rottenstone is a gentle abrasive powder that you can find at most hardware stores.
Rub the mixture onto the stain gently with a clean sponge in small circles until the black mark is removed. Wipe away any remaining solution with a damp cloth.
Apply a wood polish to the area to condition it and make it shine. Follow directions on the wood polish.
Tips & Warnings
- You can also try a few other household items to remove marks on wood floors, like baking soda or white toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Clean floors by vacuuming with the brush attachment once a week and polishing at least once a month.
- To prevent any dirt or stains on your hardwood floors, place a few rugs on the floor, maybe at the front door, for guests to wipe their shoes on.
- Always test any treatments on a small, hidden area of your wood floors to ensure wood and varnish will not be compromised.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals, like ammonia or bleach, on your hardwood floors, or any other product that is not intended for use on hardwood flooring.
- Photo Credit texture of wooden floor image by Elnur from Fotolia.com
How to Get Black Marks Off a Gym Floor
A shiny, new gym floor easily loses its luster when black marks mar the otherwise pristine surface. The rubber soles on tennis...
How to Get Black Magic Marker Off a Wood Table
Black permanent markers are useful for craft projects but easily bleed through paper, and can leave a mark on your wood. While...
How to Remove Scuff Marks From Wood Floors
To remove a scuff mark, first remove loose dirt, then use a tennis ball or a dryer sheet to rub away the...
How to Clean Scuff Marks From Wood Floors
Wooden floors often get scuff marks, and they are best cleaned with a clean, terrycloth rag and an oil-based floor cleaner. Get...