One of the most popular accessories among outdoor enthusiasts and college students alike is the Nalgene water bottle, with its superfluously indestructible nature and wide-mouth opening which is perfectly suited for ice cubes. Nalgene began as a plastic container company for scientific storage and later expanded to the outdoor camping industry, originally producing large, opaque, white, semi-soft water bottles. They have since progressed to an entire panoply of water bottle designs and styles, used by everything from sports teams, universities and golf courses to non-profit organizations. Customizing these water bottles is an excellent way to make your Nalgene bottle stand out in the crowd.
Things You'll Need
- Nalgene bottle Stickers Carabiner
Choose a Nalgene water bottle style that is right for you. There are many sizes and types of bottles available, with different mouth sizes, spout designs and overall bottle shapes. You can choose from a variety of colors and opacity levels, from completely transparent to cloudy.
Place stickers or other decorations on your Nalgene bottle. Outdoor equipment companies will often send you free stickers if you request them, and retailers may have a large supply and variety available to customers upon request. These stickers can also be found at special outdoor recreation events and celebrations. Often, Nalgene users will continue adding stickers to their bottles until the entire bottle is obscured with stickers.
Attach any number of accessories to your Nalgene bottle. The most practical accessory is the mini carabiner, which can be used to attach the bottle to a backpack or vehicle by looping it through the lid. You can also find bottle insulators, bottle carriers, straps, holsters and additional accessories which can help customize your Nalgene and keep it separate from the others.
Tips & Warnings
- One of the most practical accessories is the splash guard, which is a plastic mouthpiece insert that covers the mouthpiece and allows only a smaller stream of water, preventing ice cubes from spilling out and making drinking easier on the go. Nalgenes can also be filled with boiling hot water and placed in the feet of sleeping bags to be used as a hot water bottle. This can improve comfort during cold night sleeping. You can also order your Nalgenes personalized with your company logo or name.
- Nalgene bottles should never be stored wet or sealed completely, as this can allow mold to grow. They should always be stored with the lid slightly loosened. Older Nalgenes can contain BPA and should be avoided for long term use, but newer Nalgenes are all BPA free.
- Photo Credit Goteo image by Lauri from Fotolia.com
- Plastic Bottle Thread Standards
How to Recycle Nalgene Bottles
Nalgene bottles are popular cylindrical plastic water bottles with screw-top lids. They're made of semi-transparent and colorful plastic. Whether or not your...
Easy to Make Insulated Water Bottle Tote
In an effort to reduce, reuse and recycle, many people are using refillable water bottles rather than buying water in plastic bottles....