How to Remove Mold From Reeds

Save
Mold on a reed will hinder your sound and lead to respiratory issues.
Mold on a reed will hinder your sound and lead to respiratory issues. (Image: saxophone image by Nathalie Olivier from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>)

Reeds are small pieces of shaped wood used in musical instruments to produce vibrations against a mouthpiece. These vibrations create sound that goes through the instrument’s bell and into the air. Most musicians use a reed case to keep their reeds clean and dry. But when a case is not used, mold can grow on the wooden surface. This is dangerous because the ingestion of mold can cause respiratory issues. Cleaning mold off of your reeds can be done easily using common cleaning products.

Things You'll Need

  • Toothbrush
  • Baking soda
  • Vinegar
  • Cloth
  • Silica gel

Run hot water over an old, clean toothbrush. Dip the toothbrush bristles into a box of baking soda.

Scrub the reed with the toothbrush and baking soda until you see the mold start coming off. Scrub the reed from the widest point to the thinnest point with a downward motion.

Use warm water to rinse the reed off.

Fill a small bowl with vinegar and dip the toothbrush bristles into the vinegar. Brush the reed downward from the widest point to the thinnest point with the wet toothbrush.

Use warm water to wash the reed off.

Use a cloth to dry the reed.

Place a small amount of silica gel into your reed case to absorb moisture. This will prevent any future mold growth on your reed.

Tips & Warnings

  • Never play a reed that has mold on it.

Related Searches

References

Promoted By Zergnet

Comments

You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

22 DIY Ways to Update Your Home on a Small Budget

M
Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!