Disability benefits are available for adults over the age of 18 and young people under the age of 18 with a condition that will last for longer than 12 month. Qualifications may differ from state to state and will involve a lot of paperwork. Filling out forms takes time, but if you think you qualify for disability, it is worth taking the time to fill out the forms. You can apply for disability online.
Things You'll Need
- If you are over the age of 18, you need to have been making social security payments for a specified time in order to qualify.
The Application Process
Go to the disability website and read through the Adult Disability checklist. Make sure you understand what is required before you go on to the forms. It can take a while to fill out the paperwork so give yourself plenty of time.
Fill out the online disability benefit application and make sure that you provide all the information that is needed. Get it right the first time and cut back the time you wait for a decision.
Provide your medical history and information along with your work history when you fill out the Adult Disability Report. Read it through to make sure you gave the correct information.
When you've completed the paperwork, fill out and sign the form that is the Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration and then take or mail it to your local Social Security office.
Tips & Warnings
- You should know that you will need to show symptoms and test results to qualify for disability. Your doctor's report is important but insufficient on its own.
- Photo Credit man in wheelchair image by jimcox40 from Fotolia.com paperwork image by Pix by Marti from Fotolia.com
- Grants for Disabled Women
Federal Cash Assistance for Low Income Disabled Individuals
The federal agency providing cash assistance to low income disabled people is the Supplemental Security Income program.
- How to Apply for Free Grants Online for Disabled People
How to Apply for a Disability Living Allowance
Disability income, or disability living allowance, is money granted by the federal government to individuals who are considered disabled. To qualify for...