Job seekers are often told to keep their resume to one page. This advice makes sense for new job seekers--they don’t have the experience to warrant more than a one-page document. Developing a resume of two pages or more is appropriate if you’re an experienced worker. It's difficult to explain your education and relevant experience in one page. If you opt for a multipage resume, label it properly with your name and page numbers to make your document look professional and polished.
Determine if you need more than one resume page. The final page of the document should be at least half-full. If this isn’t possible, condense your resume; don’t add extraneous material to fill space.
Add a header to your resume. Word processing programs have a function that allows you to add header information to all pages of your document. For your resume, include your full name along with a page number and align it in the upper-right-hand corner of the page.
Your header should read something similar to this:
John Doe 	Page 2 of 2
Review your resume for continuity. Ensure that your page header includes the correct name and number on each page of your resume.
Tips & Warnings
- Directions for adding page numbers and headers to your document vary among word processing programs. Consult your program's help menu if you're unsure how to add this information to your resume.
- Be sure to "top load" your resume by including all important information at the beginning. Employers spend only a minute or two looking at each resume they receive; if yours doesn't capture their attention, they won't look at the rest of the document.
- Photo Credit mans_handshake image by Andrey Kiselev from Fotolia.com
- Should I Put the Phone Numbers of Employers on My Resume?
How to Make a Portfolio Table of Contents
Assembling a portfolio is one of the most important things you can do to make yourself look like an experienced professional within...
How to FAX a resume
A fax is a fast way to send and receive documents, and many employers still prefer to receive resumes and job applications...
How to Format Page 2 of a Resume
While today's technology allows almost anyone to create a well-formatted resume that can attract a potential employer--it also can cause formatting conflicts...
How to Format a Header for a Two-Page Resume
The amount of experience and education you have dictates the length of your resume. Although the rule of thumb has typically been...
How to Write an Address on a Resume
When it comes to writing an effective resume that will get you a job interview, every detail is important. There are many...
- How to Use Numbers in Resumes
How to Format the Second Page of a Resume
Do not feel that you must limit yourself to a one page resume. Although that approach works well for new college graduates...