How to Become a Licensed Contractor in Virginia


Virginia law requires all contractors who enter into construction or repair contracts that exceed $1,000 be licensed by the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR). The DPOR offers three different license classifications. The Class A license is for contractors who enter into at least one construction project for $120,000 or more in value or $750,000 or more worth of contracts over a 12-month period. The Class B license is for single projects that are between $7,500 and $120,000 or between $150,000 and 750,000 for a 12-month period. The Class C license is for single projects between $1,000 and $7,500 and less than $150,000 for a 12-month period.

  • Meet the minimum requirements. You must be at least 18 years old and have satisfied the minimum experience requirements of the license for which you are applying. The Class A license requires five years of experience, Class B requires three years of experience and Class C requires two years of experience. Additionally, applicants must have $45,000 in net worth for a Class A license and $15,000 for a Class B license.

  • Complete pre-licensing education. You must complete eight hours of pre-licensing education from an approved vendor on the various Virginia regulations that apply to contractors. You can find an approved vendor on the DPOR website.

  • Complete and submit the contractors license application. You can obtain an application by calling the DPOR or by going to its website. You will need to complete the Financial Statement Form included with the application if you are applying for a Class A license.

  • Take and pass the licensing examination. If you are applying for a Class A or Class B license, you are required to first pass a licensing examination. There is no examination required for a Class C license. The DPOR has contracted with a private company, PSI Examination Services, to administer examinations to applicants. You can register for an exam by going to the PSI website and clicking on the “Government/State Agencies” link. Your contractors license will be mailed to you after the DPOR receives notification that you passed the examination.

Tips & Warnings

  • Study materials for the examination can be found on the PSI website.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit construction,contractor,foreman image by Greg Pickens from
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!