Teach children to pull a palm tree out of the palm of their hand. Making paper palm trees is a craft that is also a magic trick. Use the trees for a tropical centerpiece. Add paper bamboo or other tropical paper plants. The next time you are unexpectedly stuck waiting with children, grab some scrap paper and show them how to grow a tree.
Things You'll Need
- Green construction paper
- Brown paint
Cut or tear a strip of paper, 4 by 11 inches. If you have longer paper a longer strip is even better.
Roll the strip into a short tube 1 inch in diameter. Tear four slits around the top of the tube. The slits should be evenly spaced and about 2 inches long. These resulting streamers of paper will be the tree's branches. You may cut the slits, but tearing gives them a more "leafy" appearance.
Hold the tube firmly around the bottom. Reach into the center of the tube and grasp the "branches" in the center. Pull them gently and firmly up out of the roll of paper. The tree will "grow" out of your palm.
Tape around the base of your tree to hold it together. Have the children dip their fingers in brown paint and press them onto the tree to add "coconuts."
Shorten some of the lower branches by tearing them off. Be careful not to remove them too close to the trunk.
Tips & Warnings
- You can make a tree when all you have to work with is a piece of scrap paper. Just tear the strip of paper and hold the base together in your hand.
- You can make different plants by varying the size of the tears. Tear one narrow branch to make bamboo. Tear longer branches to make bushes.
- Make bigger trees from newspaper and spray paint them for party decorations.
- Make a tree with a smooth trunk by tearing your branches when the strip in only half-rolled up. Tear the branches in the roll, then finish rolling the paper.
- Photo Credit palm tree image by Josh from Fotolia.com
How to Make a Paper Palm Tree
Paper palm trees are perfect for decorating a tropical themed party or classroom event. They’re fun to make, and a good project...
How to Make a Pineapple Palm Tree for a Serving Tray
Perfect for tropical-themed parties, this palm tree serving tray and centerpiece is made of pineapples stacked on top of each other.
How to Make Palm Tree Leaves
Palm trees are a dramatic way to spice up a party or outdoor gathering. Unfortunately they are quite expensive and heavy, and...
How to Make a Palm Tree Using Construction Paper
When making a palm tree using construction paper, use newspaper to roll into a tube, cover the tube with brown craft paper,...
How to Make a Palm Tree Costume
Making a palm tree costume involves creating a headdress with green crepe paper in the shape of palm leaves, adding small balloons...
Homemade Fertilizer for Trees
When trees are grown in nutrient-deficient soil, they have a greater susceptibility to insects and are less likely to reach their maximum...