How to Apply for a Tax ID Number in Arkansas

There are five types of tax id numbers: the SSN, EIN, iTIN, ATIN and PTIN.
There are five types of tax id numbers: the SSN, EIN, iTIN, ATIN and PTIN. (Image: tax forms image by Chad McDermott from

Tax identification numbers are required to file taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Tax identification numbers are issued to an individual or business either by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or the IRS. There are five types of tax identification numbers: the Social Security Number (SSN), Employer Identification Number (EIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (ATIN) and the Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number (PTIN).

A Social Security number is required for any person looking for a job in the United States. The Employer Identification Number, also known as a federal tax identification number, is required for businesses, estates and trusts. The Individual Taxpayer Identification number is for certain resident and nonresident aliens. The Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions is available for those in the process of adopting a US citizen or permanent resident. The Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number (PTIN) is available only for tax preparers.

Applying for a Social Security Card (SSN)

Visit the web page for the Application for a Social Security Card. Download and print the application.

Fill out the application. In addition, you will need copies of a document identifying your age, a document identifying your true identity, and a document identifying your legal status. Documents acceptable for age, identity and legal status are:

Age: U.S. hospital record, religious record before the age of 5, passport or adoption decree.

Identity: U.S. driver's license, U.S. identification card or U.S. Passport.

Legal Status: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, Consular report of birth, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization, or Form I-551, I-94, I-688B, I-766, I-20, DS-2019, F-1 or J-1.

Find your local Social Security office. There are offices located in 19 cities in Arkansas: Batesville, Blytheville, Camden, Conway, El Dorado, Fayetteville, Forrest City, Fort Smith, Harrison, Helena, Hot Springs, Jonesboro, Little Rock, Mt. Home, Sherwood, Pine Bluff, Russellville, Searcy and West Memphis.

You may submit your application in person or by mail. If you submit your application by mail, you will need to certify the copies of your documents.

Applying for a Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Visit the online application page for a Employer Identification Number (EIN) during the following Eastern time hours:

Monday - Friday: 6 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. Saturday: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday: 7 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Begin and complete your application. Keep in mind that you cannot stop and save your application. Your application must be completed in one session.

You may also mail or fax your application. Download, print out and complete "Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number".

Mail your application to: Internal Revenue Service Center Attn: EIN Operation Cincinnati, OH 45999

Or fax your application to: 859-669-5760

Applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Download and print out "Form W-7, IRS Application For Individual Taxpayer Identification Number".

Attach a federal income tax return to your form. You will also need one of the following for identification: passport, driver's license, state ID or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation.

Submit your application at a walk-in IRS office or through an Acceptance Agent. You may find an Acceptance Agent using the public list on the IRS website. There are four walk-in IRS offices, located in Fayetteville, Fort Smith, Jonesboro and Little Rock.

Applying for an Adoption Taxpayer Idenification Number (ATIN)

Download, print out and complete "Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions". Make sure to submit this application at least four to eight weeks before you need the ATIN.

You must include signed documentation stating that the adoptive child is placed with you for adoption. You may use a copy of the following forms of documentation: a placement agreement between you and an adoption agency, hospital documentation authorizing the release of a newborn to your care for adoption, a court order approving placement of the adoptive child in your care, or an affidavit signed by the government official who authorized placement of the adoptive child in your care.

If you are adopting a foreign child, U.S. citizenship or resident alien status, you must also include the child's Resident Alien Card, Certificate of Citizenship or passport with stamped "I-551".

Mail the form and supporting documentation to:

Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service Austin, TX 73301-0066

Check the status of your application by calling 512-460-7898. Keep in mind that you must wait eight weeks after submitting your application to check on your status.

Applying for a Preparerer Tax Idenfication Number (PTIN)

Visit the IRS Registration Services for Tax Preparers web page. Register to become a user of the IRS e-services website. You will need to provide your legal name, Social Security number, date of birth, telephone number, email address, adjusted gross income, desired username, password/pin, and your mailing address.

Wait for the IRS to mail you a confirmation code. Confirm your registration by logging in and entering your confirmation code. After your registration has been confirmed, you may request a Preparer Tax Information Number (PTIN) online.

You may also choose to mail or fax a "Form W-7P, Application for Preparer Tax Identification Number is used to apply for a PTIN". Download, print out and fill out the application.

Mail the application to: Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 9020 Holtsville, NY 11742-9020

OR fax the application to: 1-631-687-3850

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

Are You Really Getting A Deal From Discount Stores?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!