Columns in a home can add a stately aesthetic. Whether they be in the entry way, a living room or even a bedroom, columns can often get ignored in the decorating process simply because people don't understand how to decorate them to add to a motif.
Things You'll Need
- Wrap (garland, lights or fabric)
- Hooks or staple gun
Choose a color to paint your columns that coincides with the rest of the colors in your room. For example, if you want your columns to blend well with the room, then choose a paint color that is only a few shades lighter or darker then the walls in your room, or if you want columns to stand out, choose a bold color that will contrast with the rest of your room.
Decide on a wrap for your columns. Wrapping your columns can add some dimension and texture. You can drape them in a pretty fabric, floral garland or lights, so decide which one you want to play up your columns with.
Install a few hooks into the top of your column to begin hanging your wraps on. For thick fabrics you will want a larger, more sturdy hook, whereas for small string lights you will probably only need a small hook. Make sure to paint hooks the same color as your column so that they will blend in.
Secure your wrap at the bottom of your column with either a hook or floor staples. If you use floor staples, staple wrap to the base of your column, or if you use hooks, simply secure as your did with the top of your column.
Tips & Warnings
- To further add texture, try sponge painting your columns, or even using wallpaper instead of paint.
- Don't over-decorate columns, as this can give them an overwhelmingly busy look. For example if you use a floral garland, don't use fabric, or stick to small ribbons.
- If you are a skilled painter, use a small paint brush to paint intricate designs going down your column.
- If you have square columns, you could also try installing shelving onto their sides using small planks of wood and some l-brackets, both of which you can find at your local hardware store.
- Try draping fabric from one column to another to form a nice frame between your columns.
- Photo Credit mosaic spiral column image by Benjamin Jefferson from Fotolia.com
How to Decorate Columns
There are only three types of columns--nicely decorated columns, eyesore columns and ignored columns. Making sure the columns in your home are...
How to Make House Columns
House columns come in two basic varieties, load bearing and decorative. In modern architecture, most load-bearing columns are made from steel piers,...
Decorating Ideas With Interior Columns
Just one well-placed interior column in your home will create a sense of drama and atmosphere. Columns date back to early Egyptian...