How to Dispute Mistakes on a California Driving Record

The California Department of Motor Vehicles strives to ensure the integrity and accuracy of its databases. Drivers must direct any dispute of his or their records to the DMV for resolution. This requires filing the correct form and submitting sufficient evidence that contradicts the information on the record in question. Instances of inaccuracies may include infractions listed past the statute of limitations or violations recorded involving overturned convictions. Once a driver submits the correct form, the California DMV will investigate your claim and respond within 60 to 90 days. Federal regulations require state DMVs to keep accurate and up-to-date information regarding all driving records.


    • 1

      Download a Driver License Record Correction Request (Form DL 207) or a Traffic Accident Record Correction Request (Form DL 208) from the California DMV website (see Resources).

    • 2

      Fill out the form completely, indicating the infractions in dispute and articulating why the violations are inaccurate as listed on the driving record.

    • 3

      Attach all required documentation to the form. For traffic violations, the California DMV requires certified court documents indicating a lack of conviction. For traffic accidents, a traffic accident report from the responding law enforcement agency or a letter from said agency absolving fault requires attachment.

    • 4

      Take the form to a local DMV office and submit it directly to a DMV representative for processing (see Resources).

    • 5

      Wait approximately 30 to 60 days for the DMV to investigate the claim and respond. The California DMV usually mails the response to the person requesting a change to his or her driving record.

Tips & Warnings

  • If a driver receives a conviction for a driving offense listed on his or her DMV record and wishes to dispute the conviction, he will need to go through the court system to file and appeal to overturn the conviction before attempting to correct the driving record with the DMV.
  • The California Penal Code Section 115(a) states that any documentation forged and then filed with the DMV constitutes a felony.
Related Searches



  • Photo Credit yellow car, a honda japanese sport car model image by alma_sacra from

You May Also Like

Related Ads

View Blog Post

5 Tips for Traveling With Your Significant Other Without Killing Each Other