Chewing gum contains a synthetic rubber that gives gum its chewy texture. That same attribute is what makes chewing gum stick to the fibers in your shirt. While it's possible to remove chewing gum from your shirt, gum's sticky consistency makes removing it a time-consuming and unpleasant task. Chewing gum cannot be removed from your shirt in the washing machine, as this will serve only to transfer the gum to other garments. But you can successfully remove chewing gum from your shirt using supplies found in your home and garage.
Things You'll Need
- Butter knife
- Plastic zip-top bag
- Ice cubes
- Heavy-duty laundry detergent
Remove as much of the chewing gum substance from your shirt using the dull side of a table knife or butter knife.
Lay ice cubes on the chewing gum residue that remains on your shirt. Leave the ice cubes on, placing fresh ice on the shirt if needed, until the chewing gum residue hardens.
Scrape the remaining gum residue from your shirt. Apply ice cubes to your shirt again if the gum begins to soften.
Fill a bowl with kerosene. Soak the chewing-gum-stained portion of your shirt in the kerosene for 30 minutes to loosen and lift the chewing gum stain.
Wash your garment in a washing machine with a heavy-duty laundry detergent.
Tips & Warnings
- Place a chewing-gum-stained shirt in a plastic zip bag, then put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. This will harden the gum and keep it hard until you have time to remove the chewing gum stain.
- Test kerosene on an inconspicuous place on your shirt if it's made of a delicate fabric such as silk.
- Photo Credit bubble gum image by Tomasz Plawski from Fotolia.com ice cubes image by Adkok from Fotolia.com
How to Get Gum Out of Your Hair
There is nothing more frustrating than when a child comes home with gum stuck in his hair. And usually by the time...
- How to Get Gum Out of Clothes
How to Get Gum Off Shoes
No matter where you go or how carefully you walk, you will find that it is easy to get gum on your...
How to Get Gum Off a Sofa
Finding gum stuck to your sofa is a quick way to ruin your day. The sticky, gooey nature of gum makes it...