There are several reasons for making your own cat food: Perhaps your cat is a finicky eater and will only eat food if it contains or tastes like fish. Perhaps you prefer feeding your cat fish to eliminate food allergies. Or perhaps you have an overwhelming supply of fish. Whatever the reason, homemade fish cat food is very simple to make out of ordinary ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cupboards.
Things You'll Need
- Brown rice
- Measuring cup
- Small cooking pot
- Mixing bowl
- Cooked fish (mackerel, tuna, salmon)
- Fish oil capsules
- Calcium powder or crushed eggshell
- Measuring spoon
- Airtight container
Measure a quarter cup brown rice and place into a small cooking pot.
Add a half cup water to the pot.
Cook the rice and water over medium heat until all water is absorbed.
Empty the rice into a mixing bowl.
Add one cup cooked fish of your choice to the mixing bowl.
Squeeze the contents of one fish oil capsule into the bowl.
Add one tablespoon fresh parsley or one teaspoon dried parsley to the bowl.
Add tablespoon calcium powder or crushed eggshell to the bowl.
Stir to combine all ingredients.
Serve one to two tablespoons of the food to your cat at meal times, and store the rest in an airtight container and refrigerate. Use within one week, making fresh batches as needed.
Tips & Warnings
- You can use half fish and half cooked chicken or beef in this recipe for variation. Other grain options include quinoa, millet or barley.
- Double or triple this recipe and freeze it in ice cube trays to make a bulk amount of cat food ahead of time. Then just thaw out each day's portions for your cat's meals.
- Never feed your cat a home-cooked diet without first consulting your veterinarian about the healthiest ways to feed your cat and make changes to his diet.
- "Pet Food Nation"; Joan Weiskopf; 2007
- Home Cooked Pet Diets, Home Made Recipes And Pet Nutrition
- Photo Credit white angora cat eating from food bowl image by Stephen Orsillo from Fotolia.com
How to Make Organic Cat Food
Many cat owners are turning away from commercial pet foods and are feeding their cats homemade organic pet food. It's easy to...
How to Make Organic Homemade Cat Food
Making your own cat food puts you in charge of what ingredients go into the food, therefore putting you in total control...
Can I Feed My Cat Fish Oil?
Many cat owners will agree that their pets are family members, not just household animals. Therefore, their health, care, and happiness are...
Homemade Diabetic Cat Food
If your cat is diabetic, you need to place him on a special diet. While there are commercial diabetic cat foods, homemade...