How to Transfer a CPA License


Certified public accountants (CPAs) acquire certification through the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). As a mandatory requirement for state licensing as a public accountant in the United States, passing the Uniform CPA exam and maintaining an active state-issued CPA license are critically important to the CPA license transfer process for any state. The next step includes contacting the accounting board of the state to which the CPA plans to move, in order to learn complete the license transfer process.

  • Identify the state licensing board for your destination. Each state has specific education and experience requirements that must be met to practice public accounting. Visit the American Institute for Certified Public Accountants to find the correct licensing board for that area.

  • Check the license requirements and transfer guidelines for your destination state. Reciprocity is offered in many licensing circumstances to assist professionals with acquiring licensing in a new state. In the state of Texas, for example, practicing CPAs are eligible to apply for Texas CPA licensing if they have an active CPA license in good standing issued from another state, college transcripts proving a bachelor's degree from an accredited school with sufficient accounting and business management coursework, license fee payment to the state and the completion of an ethics course provided by the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy.

  • Contact the destination state's accounting professionals organization. To learn the requirements for the state licensing board and accounting laws for your new state, contact the state practicing accounting association.

  • Prepare all documentation required for state reciprocity. Before completing any application, collect your documentation and confirm you have all materials required, including your active state-issued license, education history and transcripts, confirmation of work experience, photo identification and any continuing education coursework you have completed to sustain your license.

  • Complete the licensing application and pay the licensing fees. Following the guidelines of your state, complete the transfer or reciprocity application form, include the approved documents, pay your licensing fee and take any additional continued education or licensing coursework mandated by the new state.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit pablocalvog/iStock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!