Australian visa processing times vary depending on the type of visa and on whether the applicant is "high risk" or "low risk." Usually, there is no need to do anything but wait once you have submitted your application. But if it has gone past the average processing time for your type of visa or if you have other concerns, you will want to check on the status of your application. With paper-based Australian visas, you have several ways to do so.
Things You'll Need
- Australian immigration contact information
- Visa application details
Get in touch with your case officer. Once your Australian visa application is accepted for processing, you will be assigned a case officer. He or she should provide you with contact details such as an email address. Your case officer is your main contact person regarding your application. Contact him or her before anyone else.
If you have not yet been assigned a case officer, contact the Australian immigration office that has jurisdiction over your case. You can look up the address and contact details in the list of Overseas Offices at the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website. Check the status of your application with them through email, telephone or mail.
Inquire by telephone if you are in Australia. Visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship website. Look up the National Telephone Numbers. For general inquiries, call 131 881. You can use these numbers only if you are in the country.
Tips & Warnings
- If you only want to verify that your Australian visa application has been received, you do not need to contact anyone. Check if your payment reflects on your credit card. Or use the tracking number for the application package you mailed.
- When making an inquiry, you may be asked for your full name, birth date, nationality, country of your passport, country where you intend to file or have filed from and the type of Australian visa you are seeking.
- Check current Australian visa processing times to have an idea how long your case may take.
- When mailing your applicaiton, use a courier service that provides a tracking number.
- If you send an inquiry via email, and you write again, include the reference number of the previous email.
- Do not inquire about your visa application without good reason. Australian officials prefer that you contact the embassy or your case officer only if there are significant developments that pertain to your application. For example, if you change your mailing address or if you have new information to add to your application, you need to contact your case officer.
- Photo Credit australia image by Orlando Florin Rosu from Fotolia.com
How to Check the Status of an Immigration Visa
Checking the status of your immigration visa is easy, but waiting for the day it is actually approved is not. There are...
How Do I Get a Visa to Visit Australia?
If you are planning a trip to Australia, you will need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), formerly called a...
How to Apply for a Visa to Australia
Australia is an attractive destination for work, travel and study but, in most cases, you’ll need a visa before you can visit....
How to Become an Immigration Officer in Australia
Immigration officers in Australia are employed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). DIAC has around 6,000 employees working in Australia...
How to Track a UK Visa Status in the USA
Tracking a United Kingdom visa status in the United States is a simple procedure. It is important to keep tabs on your...