How to Report Financial Aid Fraud


Financial aid is awarded to individuals attending higher education institutions for educational expenses. Students who use financial aid for other purposes are committing financial aid fraud. Individuals that suspect fraud or abuse of financial aid funds can contact the Department of Education Inspector General’s office to file a complaint. You can submit a complaint by email, telephone or mail. The Office of Inspector General accepts anonymous complaints.

Things You'll Need

  • OIG complaint form
  • Contact the Office of the Inspector General via email. Send an email message to Provide your contact information or select the option to remain anonymous. Include identifying information and contact information on the violator. Complete a detailed description involving the circumstances surrounding your complaint.

  • Call the Office of the Inspector General Hotline. This number is 1-800-647-8733. Provide the representative with complete details surrounding your complaint. Include the contact information for the violator and a description of the incidents that occurred. When the operator asks for your personal information, you can elect to remain anonymous.

  • Download a copy of the complaint form from the Office of Inspector General website. Mail it to:

    Inspector General's Hotline
    Office of Inspector General
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-1500

    The complaint form asks your personal identifying information, information on the violator and a description of the details surrounding the complaint. Individuals who wish to remain anonymous can download the special complaint form that omits the questions for personal identifying information.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit Ammentorp Photography/iStock/Getty Images
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

Can You Take Advantage Of Student Loan Forgiveness?

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!