Every toy car needs a garage, but you don't have to go to the toy store and spend big bucks to provide your child's toy cars their own home. Choose materials you already have around your home and teach your child about the importance of recycling and reusing, in addition to providing a creative activity. Look in your closets for an old shoebox that still has a lid. The shoebox, along with some extra office and art supplies, may be easily employed to create a custom toy car garage that can double as storage.
Things You'll Need
- Shoebox with lid
- Brown or white heavy duty wrapping paper
Wrap the entire box and the lid, separately, in the wrapping paper and use tape to secure the paper to the insides of the box and the lid.
Place the shoebox lid upside down with one long side facing you, and cut straight down the corner at each end of that side of the lid. Fold out the cut-away section to create a flap. Secure the paper along the cut edges with tape.
Run a bead of glue along the inside of the flap, and use your finger to spread the glue evenly. Fit the box lid onto the top of the shoebox. Press the glue-coated side of the flap firmly against the side of the shoebox. Let the glue dry.
Turn the box on its side so that the lid opens upwards from the bottom. Let your child decorate the garage and garage door with markers.
Tips & Warnings
- After play, drive cars into the shoebox garage; turn the garage on its back and close the garage door for storage.
- Substitute an opened grocery bag or white butcher paper for heavy duty wrapping paper.
- For larger toy cars, use a bigger box. Cut off the end flaps and one side flap. Add the extra side flap to the one still on the box to extend the "door" of the garage to the floor.
- Always protect work surfaces with paper or plastic.
- Supervise children when using markers, glue and scissors.
- Photo Credit empty brown box image by nTripp from Fotolia.com
How to Build Garage Shelves
Building garage shelves is a project that not only adds value to the home but provides a handy area for storage. Shelves...
How to Build Garage Doors
A house's garage doors are not only important functional features, but also add aesthetic value to the property. Garage doors can be...
How to Make a Garage for Matchbox Cars
Playing with Matchbox cars is a favorite activity among young boys. What better way to play with the cars than by parking...
How to Park Your Car In The Garage Without Hitting The Wall
Parking a car in a garage can be a challenge if the garage is small. Before attempting to pull your car into...
How to Build a Garage Diorama
A garage diorama should include all the basics you would find in a real garage. Attention to detail will make a garage...
How to Make a Paper Airplane
Making a unique paper airplane that looks great and flies well can be a fun project to share with friends. This is...