Processing U.S. passport applications is serious business. The State Department considers handling of these documents a matter of national security. That's why although the work may seem simple, the process to become a passport acceptance agent is fairly in-depth.
Things You'll Need
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- State-issued photo identification
Obtain employment with an authorized non-federal passport acceptance facility. Most of the time, these are state and local government agencies such as a local city hall.
Complete Department of State identification and signature forms which passport acceptance facilities must use and maintain. Your information will be shared with the U.S. Passport Agency's customer service department.
Complete interactive computer-based training which will instruct you on the policies and procedures surrounding passport application acceptance.
Test successfully on the training you received to be certified as a passport acceptance agent. This will most likely be given by computer following the training module.
Tips & Warnings
- Only U.S. citizens can qualify to be passport acceptance agents.
- Government agencies who hire acceptance agents usually perform a thorough background check. Prior convictions may bar you from being a passport acceptance agent.
- "Vulnerabilities in the U.S. passport system can be exploited by criminals and terrorists;" Committee on Homeland Security and Govermental Affairs; 2005
- U.S. Legal: Passport Acceptance Agent Law & Legal Definition
- City of Kirkland, Washington: Passports
- Photo Credit us passport image by Albert Lozano from Fotolia.com
Who Can Certify Passports?
If you wish to submit a copy of your passport as proof of identity, it should be certified by an appropriate agent,...
How to Become a US Customs Agent
Most U.S. Customs agents work at airports, verify the identities of people coming into or leaving the country, inspect paperwork and make...
How to Become a Secret Agent
A career as a secret agent may seem glamorous and exciting, as portrayed in books and films. However, it requires preparation, education...
How to Get a Passport in Tucson, Arizona
A passport is an internationally recognized identification document that is issued by the government. Passports establish a person's citizenship and allow holders...
How to Obtain a Passport in Wisconsin
Applying for a passport in Wisconsin is exactly like applying for a passport in other states, all of which follow the same...