Many people look forward to spending time outdoors in the summer, particularly after being indoors working all week. Bees buzzing around, however, can really put a damper on your enjoyment of the outdoors. Bees are especially attracted to food or sweetened drinks. Rather then risk being stung by a bee, deter bees and exterminate them using supplies found in your home or grocery store. With this simple method, you can spend time outside without worrying about a bee sting ruining your enjoyment.
Things You'll Need
- Mountain Dew
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid dish washing detergent
Pour one half can of Mountain Dew into a bowl. The sugar in the Mountain Dew attracts the bees to the soda and away from you.
Add 1 tbsp. liquid dish washing detergent to the Mountain Dew in the bowl. The detergent weighs the bees down, preventing them from flying away.
Place the bowl of Mountain Dew and dish washing detergent several feet away from the source of food and activity. Once the bees find the mixture, they will come to drink the Mountain Dew but end up drowning.
Tips & Warnings
- Place food in air-tight containers and put it away as soon as your picnic is over. Cover unfinished drinks with lids, caps or aluminum foil. Food and drinks left to sit out will attract bees.
- Keep ice on hand in the event of a bee sting. The cold helps to soothe the sting.
- Be aware if anyone with you is allergic to bee stings. Learn the best way to assist them should they get stung. Those with severe bee sting allergies can go into anaphylactic shock if not medicated and treated immediately following the sting.
- Photo Credit bumble-bee image by G.Baker from Fotolia.com
How to Get Rid of Bees in the Backyard
Although bees are an important part of our eco-system, they often become a nuisance in the yard. A bee sting is painful,...
Homemade Special Effects Makeup
Special effects makeup isn't just for the movies. Items from your kitchen, bathroom and garage serve as essentials of a perfectly haunting...
Homemade Amish Hornet Trap
Pests such as hornets and yellowjackets are not only annoying, but also dangerous to those who have a bee sting allergy. While...
Homemade Bee Killer
The droning buzz of a bee flying past your head can trigger an instinctive flinch when you are outside enjoying your garden...
Homemade Bumble Bee Killer
The low drone of a bumble bee lumbering past your ears can make you flinch away. While bumble bees are not usually...
Homemade Dish Soap Bee Trap
If you're sick and tired of heading out for some leisure time on the deck just to be swarmed by stinging bees...
Homemade Wasp Spray
Commercial insecticide contains chemicals that may be harmful to humans, and it can also be expensive. Wasp spray is easy to make...