Many frosting recipes are available but sometimes it's difficult to find the perfect frosting that's the exact consistency you need for decorating a cake or cookies. Meringue powder, made from dehydrated egg whites, sugar, cornstarch and other stabilizers, adds a shiny appearance and creamy texture and can be used to replace raw egg whites in frosting.
Things You'll Need
- Large mixing bowl
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp. meringue powder
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tbsp. hot water
Measure the confectioners sugar into a large mixing bowl.
Measure the meringue powder (available at grocery and cake decorating stores) into the bowl.
Measure the almond extract (or vanilla extract, if using) into the bowl. Mix on low speed to combine.
Add the hot water and mix on medium to high speed until the frosting is glossy and peaks form. If your frosting is too thick, add 1 tbsp. of hot water until a thinner consistency is reached. If your frosting is too thin, add 1 or 2 tbsp. of confectioners sugar.
Tips & Warnings
- After your frosting is made, you can add one drop of food coloring to tint the icing (or more drops depending on desired color).
- The best way to spread this frosting onto a cookie is to use a small spoon (such as a baby spoon) to add a small dollop of frosting in the center of the cookie. Use a small paintbrush to carefully spread the frosting to the edges of the cookie. You can make more frosting and insert it into a pastry bag fitted with a cake decorating tip to apply more frosting to the cookie on top of the base coat.
- The icing sets up very quickly when exposed to air, so add sprinkles and any other decorations immediately after applying the base coat of frosting. Keep the bowl covered with a wet towel as you work or place the icing in an airtight container if you won't be usually it immediately.
- Some individuals are allergic to nut products; in this case, you may want to use vanilla extract instead of almond extract.
- Photo Credit cookie time image by Gina Smith from Fotolia.com
How to Make Dry Icing
Royal icing dries to a smooth finish, which makes it ideal for icing anything with a hard, flat surface, such as cookies....