The positive crankcase ventilation or PCV valve plays an important role in the pollution-control system on the Jeep Liberty. The PCV valve vents positive pressure inside the engine (called the crankcase) back into the engine air intake to make sure no unburned hydrocarbons from the crankcase are vented into the atmosphere. Making sure the PCV valve is operating correctly ensures that your Jeep Liberty is working efficiently.
Things You'll Need
- Replacement PCV valve
Find the PCV valve sticking out from the oil-fill tube with a black rubber vacuum hose coming from it.
Push the PCV valve in and twist it to the left, then pull straight out to remove the old PCV valve.
Remove the rubber vacuum hose from the PCV valve by pulling it straight off the old valve. Discard the old PCV valve.
Install the new PCV valve into the side of the oil-fill tube by pressing it in and twisting to the right until it is tight.
Reattach the vacuum tube onto the new PCV valve by pushing it straight on.
Tips & Warnings
- Because the Jeep Liberty uses an all-plastic PCV valve, it can break if too much force is applied to it.
- If the vacuum hose is difficult to remove from the PCV valve, twist it on the PCV valve barbed fitting. Once the hose turns easily on the PCV fitting, it will be easy to remove it from the PCV valve.
- To determine if your PCV valve requires replacement, remove it using the instructions in this article. Once removed, shake it in your hand. If you hear a rattle, the valve does not require replacement. If the valve does not rattle, the valve is stuck and should be replaced.
- To make locating the PCV valve easier, use the replacement PCV valve as an example of what to look for.
- Old PCV valves can be very brittle. Use care when removing the valve to avoid breaking it.
- Inspect the vacuum running to the PCV valve. If it is cracked or has a hole in it, replace the vacuum line when you replace the PCV valve.
Where Is the PCV Valve on a Mercedes?
The PCV valve is a device which recycles moisture, unburned fuel vapors and combustion products back into the system so they can...
How to Replace the PCV Valve in a Jeep Grand Cherokee
The positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve in your vehicle's engine controls the amount of pressure that builds up in the engine. If...
How to Replace the Idle Control Valve for a 2002 Jeep Liberty
The idle air control valve (usually referred to as the IAC valve) is an important part of your engine. The valve regulates...
How to Change a Jeep Liberty Tire
Whenever you have to get somewhere by a specific time, the inevitable will always happen: you get a flat tire. It's inconvenient...
How to Replace the PCV Valve on a Jeep Wrangler
The PCV valve, or positive crankcase ventilation valve, on the Jeep Wrangler is responsible for venting the excess gases and managing crankcase...
How to Check & Change a PCV Valve on a Volvo
The positive crankcase ventilation valve, commonly called the PCV valve, sends burned gasses from the crankcase to the combustion chamber. The valve...
How to Test a PCV Valve
There are a variety of components in the emission control system of modern automobiles, one of which is the positive crankcase ventilation...
The 2007 Jeep EGR Valve Location
Jeep is a vehicle brand owned by Chrysler Corp. that designs and manufactures off-road vehicles including SUVs and military-style trucks. The 2007...
How to Replace the EGR on a 2007 Jeep Wrangler
The 2007 Jeep Wrangler is a compact, four-wheel drive SUV that has a special component called the exhaust gas recirculation valve, commonly...
How to Flush & Charge the AC in a 2002 Jeep Liberty
Warm air exiting the vents when the air conditioning system is engaged may be an indicator that the refrigerant in the air...