The Ford F-250 pickup comes in a wide array of engine and chassis configurations. The size of the gas tank in your Ford F-250 depends on these variables. When the need arises to drain your F-250's gas tank, it’s best to verify the size of the tank, and try to get an idea of how much fuel is in it. This will help greatly in determining the size and number of containers you need to drain the fuel into when completing this task.
Things You'll Need
- Manual automotive fluid pump
- Gas container, appropriately sized
Open the fuel door on your Ford F-250 and insert the inlet hose from the manual automotive fluid pump into the fuel-filler neck as far as it will go. You can purchase a fluid pump at most automotive-parts retailers, boating stores or big-box hardware stores.
Insert the outlet hose on the manual automotive fluid pump into the gas container.
Follow the specific instructions on your manual automotive fluid pump to drain the contents on the gas tank into the gas container. This normally involves moving a handle or plunger up and down to draw the gas out of the tank and then eject it into the container.
Continue to pump until the tank is empty, which is evident when the pump starts drawing in air instead of gas.
Tips & Warnings
- Consider how you plan to dispose of the gas before starting this endeavor. If you don’t intend to put it back in the Ford F-250, check with your local fire station for places and procedures for disposing of waste gasoline or diesel fuel. Knowing these things in advance can save time and effort once you have drained the tank.
- Never work on a fuel system while smoking or around open flames.
- "Ford F100 - F350 1980 Thru 1996: Haynes Manual"; Ken Freund; 1996
- "Ford Super Duty F-250 & F-350 Pick-ups and Excursion models for 1999 thru 2006: Haynes Manual"; Ken Freund; 2006
- Photo Credit Photos.com/Photos.com/Getty Images
How to Drain the Gas Tank of a Car
If you ever have to drain the gas tank of your car for any reason, you don't have to break your back....
How to Drain a Ford Taurus Gas Tank
Ford Taurus gas tanks are not made like most fuel tanks. Some fuel tanks will have a nut that can be unscrewed...
How to Change the Oil Filter in a Ford F-250 Diesel
The Ford F-250 diesel truck uses a thicker oil than most gas-powered vehicles, 15W-40 or better. The oil in the truck usually...
How to Remove the Gas Tank on an F-250
There are three reasons for which you will need to remove the gas tank from your Ford F-250: to replace the fuel...
How to Remove a Water Pump on a Ford F-250 7.3
The 7.3-liter diesel V-8 engine in your Ford F-250 utilizes a heavy-duty water pump to circulate antifreeze through the radiator and coolant...
How to Replace a 7.3L Fuel Pump
A 7.3-liter engine is most common in Ford Super Duty trucks manufactured from 1995 to 2002. These vehicles have a Ford Power...
Ford Focus Gas Tank Removal
Often times, the smaller the car is, the more difficult maintenance can be. This holds true for the Ford Focus and its...