How to Become a Florida Junk Car Broker


To become a junk car broker in the state of Florida, you must apply for a salvage dealer license. Junk car brokers sell junk car parts or rebuild junk vehicles for resale. As a junk car broker, you will also be able to purchase junk cars from auctions, salvage yards or private owners.

Things You'll Need

  • Dealer Training Certificate
  • Sales tax number
  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Surety Bond
  • General liability insurance
  • Fingerprint card
  • Salvage license application
  • Obtain business location approval from a Florida DMV Compliance Examiner/Officer before submitting a dealer license application. Contact a DMV regional office near you to schedule an appointment with a DMV Compliance Examiner/Officer.

  • Complete a 16-hour dealer training seminar from an approved dealer training school. A list of approved training schools can be found on the Florida DMV website. On-line and traditional classroom instruction is available. Upon completion of training, you will receive a dealer training seminar certificate.

  • Register your business with the Florida Secretary of State's office. Business entities include corporation, limited liability company and partnership. File articles of incorporation, articles of organization or certificate of partnership forms with the secretary of state's office.

  • Apply for a sales tax number by contacting the State of Florida, Department of Revenue. Use this number to collect sales tax from all sales. Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to use when filing state and federal income taxes. Visit to download forms or to apply online.

  • Purchase a $25,000 surety bond from a licensed insurance provider. A surety bond helps business owners maintain an honest relationship with customers. In the event of a lawsuit or settlement, the state of Florida may use bond monies to cover these costs. Purchase general liability insurance to help protect business and personal assets in the event of a lawsuit. Minimum coverage coverage includes $25,000 for bodily injury and property damage protection and $10,000 for personal injury.

  • Contact a regional DMV office to request a Division of Motor Vehicles fingerprint card. Take this card to your local police station to have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprint technician.

  • Download an Application for License as a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealer from the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles website or obtain a hard copy by contacting a regional DMV office. Submit the application with a copy of the dealer training seminar certificate, copy of lease or proof of property ownership, copy of general liability insurance certificate, copy of incorporation, LLC or partnership papers, an original copy of the surety bond and fingerprint card to any regional DMV office. Include a payment of $354.25 for filing and fingerprinting fees.

Tips & Warnings

  • If rebuilding and selling salvaged cars to independent dealers, you must arrange to transfer the title to the independent dealer.
  • Operating without a dealer license is second-degree misdemeanor. This means you could face up to six months in jail and have to pay penalties of up to $500.00.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit accident image by Chocorange from
Promoted By Zergnet



You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!