How to Get an Emergency Teaching Certification in Texas


Emergency teaching certification is the way out-of-state educators can obtain immediate certification to teach in Texas. This certification provides additional staff to meet increased demands on school districts when Texas students have been displaced as the result of a declared state disaster. As an example, emergency certificates were issued for the 2005--2006 school year as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Things You'll Need

  • You will need:
  • Current, valid, standard (not temporary) educator certification from another state

How to Get an Emergency Teaching Certification in Texas

  • Contact the Texas State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) to learn which school districts are authorized to fill teaching vacancies with emergency certification applicants. Call the SBEC Information and Support Center toll free at (888) 863-5880 for the information.

  • Contact a school district of interest directly from an SBEC list to obtain an interview. The interview will determine whether or not the applicant has the necessary qualifications for a district teaching position.

  • Complete, sign and submit the emergency educator certificate application, provided by a school district of interest, to the State Board for Educator Certification, 1701 N. Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas, 78701. This application collects the identification and demographic information required for an applicant to receive an emergency certificate.

  • Submit to the State Board for Educator Certification identifying information and the number, if any, of each teaching certificate ever held in any state of the United States, whether currently valid or invalid.

  • Within 15 calendar days of submitting a signed application for the certificate, obtain and submit fingerprint cards. These cards will be used for a national criminal history background check.

Tips & Warnings

  • Once all the required documentation has been submitted and verified and the background investigation completed, the sponsoring school district will be notified by the State Board for Educator Certification whether the application for emergency certification was approved or disapproved and the school district then notifies the applicant.

Related Searches


  • Photo Credit school books image by William Berry from
Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

3 Day-to-Night Outfits for the Work Week

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!