Being an armed security guard is a dangerous and a risky job that carries a lot of responsibility. In New York City has a huge demand for good security guards in various fields of work, from banking, commercial and law services to private services and specialized security companies. If you are a trustworthy, reliable, and physically fit, you might be a good candidate for becoming an armed security guard.
Find a school approved by the state of New York and enroll in a security training program. Note that having an associate degree or a bachelor degree in criminal justice or a similar field is not a requirement but can help your career in the security industry, especially if you are interested in corporate security. Find websites that offer a list of private security training schools fully approved by the state of New York.
Finish the program in the private security training school. The program will consist of a certain number of hours per day of security training and a certain amount of classes.
Obtain a firearm license that is valid in New York. This step is necessary if you want to work as an armed security guard in the state of New York.
Attend a 47 hours firearm training course for security guards. Prior to this training, you will have to submit fingerprints, pass a mental and medical examination and pass a background check.
Apply for a special armed guard registration card in New York in the city's licensing office. If you finished all the courses successfully and passed a background check, you will have no problem with getting your NY special armed guard registration card.
Complete the mandatory 8 hours training course every year to renew and prolong your armed security guard license. This training course is officially called the In--service training course for armed security guards.
Tips & Warnings
- It is always a good idea to join a gym and to continue with some kind of a physical exercise. Being the best in this line of work means being fit and strong, therefore make sure to keep a high level of physical.
- You have a responsibility to make sure you don't have a medical condition that can put yourself or others in danger, since working as an armed security guard is a highly dangerous and risky job.
- Photo Credit security guard with gun image by jedphoto from Fotolia.com
- Armed Security Guard Jobs
How to Become a Security Guard
Becoming a security guard is something you should give some thought to. It can be dangerous at times and very boring at...
- How to Get a New York State Security Guard License