How to Apply for a Marriage License in CT

While planning a wedding requires attention to detail and many small tasks, one of the most important is obtaining a marriage license. While you can be married by a wedding officiant without a license, the marriage is often not recognized by the state unless many years have passed and there is property to divide up in a divorce request. If you are marrying in Connecticut, obtaining a license is very easy, as long as you have some basic information.

Things You'll Need

  • Picture identification
  • Cash fee of $30


    • 1

      Appear in person--both you and your fiance--at the Connecticut vital records office in the town where you are to be married. These offices are usually found in either a probate or circuit court house. Both parties must be present for the license to be issued.

    • 2

      Complete the application for a Connecticut marriage license. You will need to write down your names, address, telephone numbers, mothers' maiden names, parents' names, and where you were both born.

    • 3

      Provide identification with a picture--such as a state-issued driver's license or identification card.

    • 4

      Make a sworn statement that the information both parties is providing--such as not already being married to another party--is true.

    • 5

      Pay the $30 fee in cash to the Connecticut vital records office to obtain the completed license, which is good for 65 days before it must be requested again.

Tips & Warnings

  • As there is no waiting period for a license, you are able to get married the same day as you request one.
  • Blood tests are no longer required for marriage license applications in Connecticut.
  • If you are under 18, you must have written consent to marry from a parent, guardian or probate judge.
  • If you are under 16, consent from a probate judge is required to marry in Connecticut.
Related Searches



  • Photo Credit wedding celebration image by Warren Millar from

You May Also Like

Related Ads

Read Article

How to Get Legal Help with Tax Issues