Automobile batteries are a key component in the electrical system of your car. The battery provides the necessary power to turn the starter and start the vehicle. Most automobile batteries are lead-acid batteries, which contain very toxic chemicals. These should be recycled properly. You can do this by taking the old battery to the store where you'll buy a new one. To promote recycling, the store will charge a core deposit, which varies from store to store. The core deposit will be added to the price of the new battery and the deposit will be returned when you bring back the old battery.
Things You'll Need
- Used battery
- Store receipt from new battery
Place the old battery in your vehicle and return to the store where you purchased the new battery.
Take the battery to customer service at that particular store. Tell the store employee that you've already purchased a new battery and are returning the old one to get the core deposit refunded.
Hand the store employee the original receipt for the new battery.
The store employee will print out a receipt for the core deposit and ask you to sign it. You will then get your core deposit refunded.
Tips & Warnings
- Put your receipt in a safe place, because without it some stores will not be able to return your core deposit.
- If you paid for the new battery with a charge card, the deposit will be refunded to your card. If you paid by cash or check, the deposit will be refunded in the form of cash.
- You can avoid paying a core deposit and a return trip to the store by taking the old battery with you when you purchase the new battery.
- When lifting the battery, always lift with your legs to prevent a back injury. Automobile batteries are heavy.
How to Change a Car's Battery
Changing a car battery is something that most people will be able to do themselves. The hardest part is usually to lift...
How to Charge your Car Battery
Article #2 of "charging your car battery!" Article #1 dealt with jump starting your car battery from another car to get it...
How to Store a Car Battery
Storing your car battery properly ensures that the battery lasts longer and functions properly when you need to use it. Most batteries...
What Things Can Draw on a Car Battery When the Car is Off?
Without an adequate charge, a car battery will be too weak to start your vehicle when you turn the ignition key. Modern-day...
How to Dispose of Car Batteries
Car batteries should never be disposed of in any fashion other than by bringing them to authorized recycling agencies who recycle the...
How to Replace a Car Battery
Changing a car battery is not something you will have to do often but it is always good to know how to...