A blocked toilet can cause the flush water to overflow or rise precariously close to the rim and then drain slowly, if at all. Toilet clogs usually occur due to built-up tissue paper or when stray children’s toys fall into the toilet and become stuck, according to the website ServiceMagic.com. No need to panic if you don’t have a plunger handy because there are other remedies to fix your blocked toilet so it will once again flow smoothly.
Things You'll Need
- Liquid dish soap
- Wire coat hanger
- Paper towels
Place paper towels around the toilet bowl base to absorb any excess water while you're attempting to unblock the toilet.
Pour 1/2 cup of liquid dish soap into the blocked toilet bowl. Heat a large pot of water on your stove on medium heat. When the water comes to a boil, add as much to the toilet bowl as possible without causing an overflow. The weight of the water and soap should force down whatever is clogging the toilet. Repeat the process if you see minimal improvement.
Unravel a wire coat hanger and string it down into the toilet. Turn it clockwise to snake it down through the plumbing. Once the snake will no longer move down, turn it counter clockwise to remove the toilet clog. Continue this process until the toilet flushes normally. Pull out the hanger and check to see if it brings out whatever was clogging the toilet along with it. Dispose of the hanger and any debris.
Put on a pair of shoes. Flush the toilet while using your foot to tap on the toilet bowl. Don't kick the toilet bowl too hard, but use gentle, yet firm pressure. Continue to tap your foot against the toilet bowl until the block clears.
Tips & Warnings
- Commercially prepared toilet bowl preparations for fixing clogged toilets are available at your local grocery store, but the strong chemicals may damage your plumbing or the toilet itself.
- Living With My Home: How to Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger
- How to Unclog a Toilet: How to Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger
- Random Thoughts: How to Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger or Gadget
- Great Home Improvement Tips: There Are Ways to Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger
- Service Magic: Defeating a Clogged Drain