Unidentified flying objects, commonly known as UFOs, are one of mankind's big mysteries. Many people are fascinated with the idea of alien life on other planets, and often kids love exploring this topic too. If you, or your child, are interested in things like aliens and UFOs, learn how to make a simple paper UFO that can make for fun play time and a great display piece.
Things You'll Need
- 2 paper plates
- Acrylic latex paint (colors of your choosing)
- 16 pieces of pipe cleaner
Glue two paper plates together so that the insides are facing each other. Paper plates with more rounded edges are best for this, as opposed to the ones that have fluted-out, or flatter rims.
Paint your saucer with acrylic latex paint, based on your own design and colors of your choosing, to look like a spaceship. For example, You can use silver paint as a base, then paint lights and windows once that paint dries.
Take four pieces of black pipe cleaner and cut them to about 4 inches long, then intertwine them so that you have one thick piece. Repeat this step three more times.
Poke four holes into the bottom of your UFO saucer equidistant apart, so that they would form a square if you drew lines between them.
Push one of your thick pieces of pipe cleaner through one of the holes and apply glue around the hole to hold pipe cleaner in. Do this again with your remaining pieces of thick pipe cleaner, and your remaining holes.
Stand your UFO up on the pieces of pipe cleaner and enjoy.
Tips & Warnings
- Instead of displaying your UFO standing on legs, you can also poke two small holes into the top part of your space ship, loop some string through, and hang it up so that it appears to be flying.
- To make little aliens, take a few cheap plastic dolls and spray paint them green, or any other weird color of your choosing.
- You can also opt to wrap your paper plates in aluminum foil, to emulate the traditional metal look of a UFO.
- Photo Credit UFO @ Botanic Gardens Christchurch image by sun_orbiter from Fotolia.com
How to Make Flying Paper Lanterns
Flying paper lanterns are like small hot air balloons, made of tissue paper and a simple fire source. Most of the supplies...
How to Make a Flying Saucer Science Project
Whether you believe in aliens or not, flying saucers are real, or at least the principles of aerodynamics that would cause a...
How to Make a Paper Airplane
Making a unique paper airplane that looks great and flies well can be a fun project to share with friends. This is...