Misses and juniors are two of the four sizing divisions in the United States sizing system. There is a long-standing confusion for some women about how to find their sizes in each sub-category if they are used to only wearing one or the other. For example, if a woman wears junior sizes most of the time, she may be confused about her size when the garment is only available in Misses. As a rule, Misses Jeans are cut wider in the hip area.
Things You'll Need
- Soft tape measure
Measure your waist if needed by standing up straight and exhaling gently. Use a soft tape measure pulled taught against your body. Keep the tape flat around your entire waistline. The number that intersects with the "0" on the tape measure is your waist measurement.
Enter your waist measurement into an online sizing tool (see Resources) to obtain your Misses size. Alternatively, you can use this general formula: If your waist is a size 32, according to most standard sizing charts your junior size would be 11 or 13. Add or subtract as needed for your actual measurement, e.g. 31 is sizes 9 or 11, while 30 is sizes 7 or 9.
Add 1 to your size in juniors if you know this measurement to obtain your size in Misses. While it may not be exact, it is a good place to begin.
Tips & Warnings
- Misses sizes are approximately sized as follows (in inches): Small (Waist 28/29) = 4-6, Medium (Waist 30/31) = 8-10, Large (Waist 32/33) = 12-14, X-Large (Waist 34/35) = 14-16, 2X (Waist 36/37) = 16-18 , 2X (Waist 38/39) = 18-20, 3X (Waist 40/41) = 20-22, 4X (Waist 42/43) = 22-24.
- Juniors are sized in odd numbers and Misses are sized in even numbers.
- Always try on your jeans before you buy them. Different designers and manufacturers use different measurements in sizing.
- Do not suck in your stomach when measuring to get a smaller number. It will only make the fit uncomfortable.
- Photo Credit jeans... image by Saskia Massink from Fotolia.com
Misses Vs. Juniors Size Jeans
Shopping for clothes is an enjoyable experience for a lot of women, but shopping for jeans can be anything but fun. Knowing...
How to Measure Your Pant Size in Juniors
Junior size clothes are cut slightly smaller than misses or women's size clothing, which means that they usually appeal to teens, who...
How to Convert Girls' Clothing Sizes to Ladies'
If you're short and slender, ill-fitting clothing in adult sizing isn't your only choice. Dive into the children's section to broaden your...
How to Determine a Women's Jean Size
There is no hard and fast rule for how to determine a woman's jean size. There are many factors that can influence...
How to Convert Children's Clothing Size to Junior
Shopping for the preteen or young teen girl can be a challenge. The children's department can be filled with clothes deemed too...
How to Convert Kids' Clothing Size to Junior
If you're a young teen (or the parent of one), trying to determine your correct clothing size can be difficult, especially if...