An effective food menu is well organized, descriptive and current. Arranging food selections by course will guide diners through the menu in chronological order. A food menu with accurate descriptions can help to limit questions and reduce the amount of food returned to the kitchen. Updating a food menu regularly reduces diner frustration and allows for specials and promotions to be added. Create a well-arranged food menu that successfully entices and informs the people you serve.
Things You'll Need
- Desktop publishing program (Microsoft Publisher, Print Shop Deluxe, Print Artist)
- Digital camera (optional)
Type out a basic food menu structure using a desktop publishing program. Create headings for beverages, appetizers, soups and salads, main course and dessert.
Select an easy-to-read font that reflects the style of your restaurant.
Fill in each section with available dish titles and full descriptions that include the major ingredients. You may also choose to add well-lit pictures of the food.
Update the food menu with any changes, specials or promotions before each service. Consult with the chef to make sure the food menu accurately describes the available offerings.
Print the food menu on plain white or other solid color paper so it is easy to read.
Tips & Warnings
- Change the color of entree titles to reflect the protein. For example, beef dishes can be printed in red, chicken in yellow, seafood in blue and vegetarian dishes in green.
- Add drink pairing suggestions under entree descriptions to further aid diners in making their selection.
- Photo Credit Taverna image by thomas mitrakas from Fotolia.com
About Four-Course Meals
Four-course meals allow diners to enjoy a variety of flavors at a relaxed pace. Traditional four-course dinners comprise a light first course,...
Types of Food Menus in Restaurants
The menu a restaurant uses reflects its type of food service as well as its business plan. Fast-food establishments use a predictable...
- Organizational Structure of a Restaurant
- How to Make a Restaurant Menu
- How to Design a Food Menu
How to Create a Menu for Free
Creating a menu gives guests or patrons a chance to get excited about the food they are about to enjoy. RestaurantOwner.com says...
- How to Make a Menu for a Fast-Food Restaurant
Healthy Menus for Senior Citizens
Senior citizens may face dietary issues due to their age and deteriorating health conditions. Many senior citizens will have age related diseases...
Do it Yourself Wedding Reception Food Menu Ideas
Preparing your own food for your wedding reception can be a wise economic choice for the bride and groom. Be sure your...
- What Food to Serve at a Business Meeting