When mold fungus is found growing on wood you should kill it as soon as possible. Mold is not only unsightly and potentially dangerous, but it can also ruin wood. If left untreated, wood infected with mold will deteriorate and eventually become unusable.
Things You'll Need
- N95 respiratory
- Rubber gloves
- Safety goggles without vent holes
- Long sleeve shirt
- Work boots
- Cloth or sponge
- Warm soapy water
- Spray bottle
- Stiff brush
- Mild dishwashing liquid
- Fine grit sandpaper
Open windows and doors to provide better air flow and ventilation during mold removal.
Dampen a soft cloth or sponge with warm, soapy water.
Wipe off as much of the surface mold as you can with the cloth.
Combine 1 1/2 cups of bleach with 1 gallon of water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
Spray the wood liberally with the mixture.
Scrub the area with a stiff brush. Allow the wood to dry completely.
Combine water and a mild dishwashing liquid. Saturate a cloth in the mixture.
Scrub the wood with the saturated cloth. Allow the wood to dry.
Tips & Warnings
- Point fans in the direction of the wood to aid in the drying process.
- If mold is still present, use a fine grit sandpaper to sand away the area on the wood that is infected with mold.
- Before beginning the mold removal process equip yourself with the proper safety items: An N95 respiratory mask, rubber gloves, safety goggles without vent holes, long sleeve shirt, pants and work boots should be worn at all times during the mold removal process.
- Do not mix bleach with ammonia or any products containing ammonia.
- Photo Credit Wood image by filipkaluzny from Fotolia.com
How to Kill White Mold on Wood Panel
Mold is a fungus that can become toxic if left to prolonged periods of exposure to moist conditions. If the mold is...
DIY: Wood Mold & Fungus Removal
Mold and fungus are nature's cleaners. They are the beginning of the decaying process for dead wood. This is a very important...
How to Kill Dry Rot
Dry rot is one of the most common problems that can damage the wood in your home. It is caused by a...