Brick siding on a house or exposed brick pavers can develop rust stains over time. Rust stains must be removed quickly or they eventually corrode and deteriorate the brick. Rust removers are found at most hardware or lawn-and-garden stores. It is not difficult to remove rust stains from bricks.
Things You'll Need
- Rubber gloves
- Steel wool pad or find sandpaper
- Rust remover
- Nylon brush
- Garden hose
Put rubber gloves on your hands. Rub a steel wool pad or fine sandpaper on the rusted area. After rubbing on the rust, knock the loosened rust from the brick with your gloved hand.
Apply a rust remover such as Boeshield Rust Free, Singerman Concrete Rust Remover or oxalic acid on the stain to remove the remainder of the rust from the brick. Read the instructions on the rust remover as you may need to dilute it with water before applying. Some rust removers may need to sit on the brick for a specified period of time to work on the rust stain.
Scrub the brick stain with a nylon brush. Add more rust remover solution to the stain if you are having difficulty removing the rust.
Rinse the brick off with a garden hose. Remove all rust remover from the brick and off any concrete or stone surfaces.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure to purchase a rust remover that can be used on brick surfaces, and remove any outdoor fixtures or furniture where you will be working to avoid getting any rust remover solution on them.
- Some rust removers contain acid and can burn when coming in contact with skin or eyes. Wear goggles, a long sleeved shirt and pants when working with acidic materials.
- Cover shrubbery or plants that are near where you are working with plastic. The acid from the rust remover can kill vegetation.
- Photo Credit Brick image by Luke Haverkamp from Fotolia.com
How to Clean Brick Stains
Most brick stains can be cleaned with a scrub brush, water, or cleaning solvents. When you clean brick stains in or around...
How to Clean Stains on Pavers
Paver stones are a more decorative way to pave your patio, walkway or driveway. In addition to offering the aesthetic appeal of...
How to Remove Rust with Muriatic Acid
Muriatic acid is a strong chemical cleaner that home builders use to smooth porcelain and fiberglass surfaces. The strong acid can actually...
How Can I Remove Stains From Paver Bricks?
Paver bricks are a simple way to enhance your outdoor décor. Used to create walkways, driveways, patios and exterior floors, paver bricks...
Brick Stain Removal
Brick walls, borders and other masonry structures can stain because of a variety of elements. Brick surfaces can be tough to clean...
The Best Method for Cleaning Rust Stains From a Chimney
Chimney caps, also called chase tops, break down and rust with age. When it rains, the rust runs down on the chimney...