Some styles of Moen kitchen, bathroom, and shower faucets have water filters built into them. You should replace Moen filtration cartridges every 30 to 90 days, depending on how much use they get. If you clean your cartridge between changes, you can prolong its life and go for longer periods between cartridge changes (though when the water begins to develop a foul taste, you will have to replace the cartridge).
Things You'll Need
- White vinegar or citric acid
- Cotton swabs or balls
- Moen cartridge pulling tool
Turn off the water supply faucets located below the sink by twisting them in a clockwise motion.
Remove the faucet handle following the instructions provided. The instructions will vary depending on the exact model and whether it is a kitchen, bathroom or shower faucet.
Unscrew the faucet handle.
Remove the cartridge by either removing the locknut or releasing the cartridge clips. Pull the cartridge out using a pair of pliers.
Use the cotton swabs to apply vinegar or citric acid to the edges of the cartridge until the cartridge can be pulled free of the faucet.
Place the cartridge in a large container and soak it in vinegar or citric acid for seven hours, then rinse it thoroughly with clean water and allow to air dry.
Push the clean filter back into the opening. Be careful not to twist, bend or break it.
Replace the handle and secure the screws.
Turn on the water-supply faucets below the sink by turning them clockwise.
Turn on the faucet and run the water for about five minutes to clear the filter of vinegar or citric acid.
Tips & Warnings
- Use a well-ventilated area to avoid strong vinegar fumes.
- Some brands of Moen faucet require a cartridge-pulling tool.
- Do not use excessive force on the cartridge because this will damage it. If the cartridge does not come off easily, soak a cloth in the vinegar or citric acid solution and wrap this around the cartridge. Secure it with a plastic bag and wait for an hour. Repeat if necessary.
- Photo Credit water image by Jan Will from Fotolia.com
How to Change a Moen Cartridge
Moen is an Ohio company that manufactures various types of kitchen faucet appliances. A major component in nearly all Moen faucets is...
How to Remove Moen Cartridge 1225
Many Moen single-handle faucets use the 1225 cartridge to divert the water through the faucet. When you begin to have leaks through...