How to Request a New SIN & a Birth Certificate

Ways to request personal documents.
Ways to request personal documents. (Image: birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from

In Canada, every citizen needs a SIN (Social Insurance Number) card and birth certificate. The SIN card is a necessity for those who work in Canada, and you'll also need it if you want to access to government programs and benefits. Replacing your lost or stolen SIN card and birth certificate can be time-consuming and distressing, but it is possible.

Things You'll Need

  • SIN card application
  • Birth Certificate application
  • Application fee

Requesting a New SIN card

Download the application from Service Canada’s website. Service Canada states that you can order the form by calling their main office. The number can be found on their website.

Fill out the application. On the application you will indicate that you are applying for a replacement card, as well as including your name, address, mother and father’s name, your previous Social Insurance Number, and your status in Canada. You will then sign and date the application.

Provide a primary document to prove your identity. Primary documents include birth certificates, certificate of Canadian citizenship, permanent resident card, certification of birth abroad, work permit, and study permit. You must include one of these documents with your application.

Include the $10 fee to replace your SIN. You can mail in your fee, in the form of a check, bank draft, or money order in Canadian funds only. If you plan on applying in person, you can pay with cash as well as debit or credit.

Mail your application or drop it off at your nearest Service Canada center. If you apply in person, you can receive your Social Insurance Number the same day and your card within ten business days. If you mail in your application, you will get your Social Insurance Number and card in twenty business days. You can find Service Canada’s mailing address on the application form and on their website (see reference).

Requesting a New Birth Certificate

Visit the website of the province or territory of your birth. You can find a list of the provinces and territories and their official websites on Service Canada’s website.

Download the application from your province’s or territory’s website. You can also submit an online application on some websites. For example, British Columbia’s Vital Statistics Agency has an option to submit a secure application online. On the application include your name, address, your birth details, and mother and father’s information.

Include the application fee with your application. Application fees may vary depending on different provinces and territories. Check your province’s or territory’s website for the exact fee amount. In most cases, you can mail your fee in the form of a check or money order in Canadian funds.

Mail in your application to the office that is specified on your province’s or territory’s website. You can also apply in person at their office, if you are given that option. You can find their mailing address on the application form and on their website.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

How to Travel For Free With Reward Points

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!