How to Pay Federal & State Taxes


To avoid penalties and interest, it is vital that you pay your federal and state income taxes fully and promptly. All U.S. taxpayers have several options for paying their federal taxes. For individual states, the process varies. Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, Wyoming, New Hampshire and Tennessee do not have a state income tax. If you live in another state, check with your state department of revenue for instructions on filing your income tax return in your state. You can find a list of state eFile coordinators at,,id=97558,00.html.

To pay your federal taxes, you can send a check or money order with your return. You also can use a credit or debit card, or have the funds withdrawn from your checking or savings account.

If you send a check or money order, make it out to "United States Treasury." Where you send your payment is determined by your location. If you live in Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or Wisconsin; send payments to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 804521, Cincinnati, OH 45280-4521. Residents of all other states and U.S. territories should send their payments to: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 105078, Atlanta, GA 30348-5078.

Call 1-800-272-9829 or 1-888-729-1040 to make a payment using your credit or debit card. Follow the prompts, and enter your card account number, expiration date and CVC code, which is found on the back of the card (front for American Express).

Select "Electronic Funds Withdrawal Option" when filing electronically using eFile (through IRS website at Provide your account number and your financial institution's routing number, which is found on the bottom of your personal check. Payment amounts need to be in whole-dollar amounts and cannot exceed $100 million.

Tips & Warnings

  • Contact the IRS immediately at 1-800-829-1040 if there is an error in the amount debited from your bank account or charged to your credit account.

Related Searches


Promoted By Zergnet


You May Also Like

Related Searches

Check It Out

4 Credit Myths That Are Absolutely False

Is DIY in your DNA? Become part of our maker community.
Submit Your Work!